Updated Ferrofluid Cell Pictures

In summary, Michael Snyder, a PhD student at the University of Louisville, has shared his work on ferrofluid cell physics images with the forum. Despite five years of study, the behavior of the ferrofluid in the cell, as seen in the images, is still not fully understood. Each line or ring has its own polarization, and the source LED may play a role in this phenomenon. Possible explanations for the observed patterns include surface tension and the shape/orientation of the LED lights. Michael is open to any ideas and suggestions for further research.
sirzerp
Hi Y'all,

My name is Michael Snyder and I'm a PhD student at the University of Louisville.

You may have seen my work on the 2012 APS calendar.

A few years ago I posted some ferrofluid cell physics images in this forum.

The cell is made of two pieces of glass and some ferrofluid between the glass. LED's are placed around the perimeter of the cell.

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/unapqa

Here is one of my newest images. It is not a horseshoe magnet, instead is half of a ring magnet (magnetized thought its thickness).

The black area is all the same pole (north) and has two fold symmetry where a full ring magnet would have four fold symmetry.

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/6vj0er

Would you believe that after five years of study, we still don't know how it works?

Each line or ring has its own polarization, which we can track back to the source LED.

We think each line is a refection, but we can't explain why the electrons of the fe304 molecules happen to be in those areas, producing the observed lines and rings of scatter...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
Snyder

Hi Michael,

First of all, congratulations on your work being featured in the APS calendar! That's quite an achievement. As a fellow scientist, I can understand the frustration of not being able to fully explain a phenomenon despite years of study. However, I believe that this is a common occurrence in the field of science and it only shows that there is still so much we have yet to discover and understand.

From the images you have shared, it seems like the ferrofluid cell is exhibiting some interesting and complex behavior. The fact that each line or ring has its own polarization is definitely intriguing. Have you tried conducting experiments with different types of ferrofluids or varying the strength of the magnetic field? It would also be interesting to see if the same patterns and polarization occur in a different environment, such as in a vacuum.

As for the source of the observed lines and rings, have you considered the possibility of surface tension playing a role? It could be that the ferrofluid is aligning itself along the surface tension gradients, resulting in the observed patterns. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the LED lights could also be affecting the polarization of the ferrofluid.

I'm sure you have already explored these possibilities, but I hope they can spark some new ideas for your research. Keep up the great work and don't get discouraged by the unknown. Science is all about asking questions and seeking answers. Best of luck in your continued studies!

1. What is a ferrofluid cell?

A ferrofluid cell is a small container filled with a ferrofluid, which is a liquid that becomes magnetized in the presence of a magnetic field. The cell is typically made of glass or plastic and has transparent walls to allow for visual observation of the ferrofluid's behavior.

2. How are the updated ferrofluid cell pictures different from previous ones?

The updated ferrofluid cell pictures may have different colors, patterns, and shapes compared to previous ones. This is because the ferrofluid's behavior and movement can change depending on factors such as the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the type of ferrofluid used, and the shape of the container.

3. How are ferrofluid cells used in scientific research?

Ferrofluid cells are used in various scientific fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and biomedicine. They can be used to study the behavior and properties of ferrofluids, as well as to develop new technologies and applications. For example, they can be used to create new types of sensors, drug delivery systems, and magnetic devices.

4. Can ferrofluid cells be used in practical applications?

Yes, ferrofluid cells have already been used in some practical applications, such as in loudspeakers and seals for rotating machinery. They also have potential uses in fields such as robotics, energy harvesting, and biomedicine. However, further research and development are needed to fully harness the potential of ferrofluids in practical applications.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with ferrofluid cells?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when working with ferrofluid cells. The ferrofluid itself can be messy and difficult to clean, and it can stain surfaces and clothing. Additionally, some types of ferrofluids may contain toxic or harmful chemicals, so proper safety precautions should be taken when handling them. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and wear appropriate personal protective equipment when working with ferrofluid cells.