Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Updating Firefox's cache

1. Feb 15, 2005 #1
    Configuring Firefox's cache

Just thought I'd pass this along in case other Firefox users haven't "discovered" it yet.

Firefox's default behavior, when visiting web pages that have been visited previously, seems to be to load the page from your cache and it generally doesn't check to see if there is a newer version of that page on the website. Or it checks "whenever it feels like it" and who knows how often, if ever, that is.

To change this, type
    Code (Text):
    about:config
    on Firefox's url line. Then scroll down to
    Code (Text):
    browser.cache.check_doc_frequency
    double-click it and enter the value 1 to replace the default value of 3. This should set Firefox to check for a new version whenever it visits a page.

Thanks to www.mikeaxelrod.com for this tip.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2005 #2
    Very nice, gnome. I just tried this tip, but still I prefer to keep the default value. :smile:

4. Feb 15, 2005 #3
    How does firefox check? Does it see if the images are different, or the files were saved on a newer date?

Another tip, if some do not know. If you want to refresh and override the cache press: shift+ctrl+R

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?