Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upgrade News

1. Nov 20, 2006 #1
    Sorry for the long downtime. There were several very large update queries that each took about an hour. It didn't help when during one of them I lost the connection to mysql which ended up corrupting the database. Repairing it took another hour and of course that wasn't the end of it, during repair a tmp folder ran out of space and I had to kill the repair process and remount the folder with more space and do everything all over again. But finally all is well... fingers crossed.

I'm opening the forum a bit premature because I know everyone is itching to get back on. Be aware I haven't updated any templates or hacks yet so some things may not work or act strange. Right now I'm going to eat dinner and relax as it was a long night and long day.

It would be a good idea to clear your caches as alot of JS files have changed

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Cache cleared -- thanks for the reminder. Hang in there Greg!

4. Nov 20, 2006 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks, Greg!

5. Nov 20, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks Greg! Sounds like your night was as rough as mine (I used the downtime to finish writing a grant). Get some sleep!

6. Nov 20, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

What the hell is a 'cache', and how does one clear it? :confused:

7. Nov 20, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't remember how to give you instructions for other browsers, but if you're by any chance using Safari on a Mac, click on "safari" in the menu, and then choose "empty cache."

The cache stores information about websites you visit so they load more quickly when you revisit them, but it also means you don't see all the recent changes to a site.

Greg, when the upgrade is finished will the "last post by" names reappear on the main index page?

8. Nov 20, 2006 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can't "Mark Forums Read," not showing authors for "last post."

9. Nov 20, 2006 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yes, I noticed that's missing too.

10. Nov 20, 2006 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks, Moonbear. I was on the iMac using Safari a couple of days ago, but it was W's PC (which I'm on now) that I was using both when it went down and when it came back up. In between was my boss' PC at work.

11. Nov 20, 2006 #10
    Thanks, Greg! :)

12. Nov 21, 2006 #11

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

More instability issues (hopefully only temporary)

Hi all,

For what it is worth, I have been experiencing considerable trouble using PF: I have been involuntarily logged off several times, thus losing work, and then I have had trouble logging back back on. I hope this will be ameliorated once Greg has a chance to finish recovering from the database problem. I should add that I am a very new user, whose tenure at PF seems to have coincided with the system problems over the past few days--- purely by coincidence, I trust! I take it this kind of instability at PF is unusual?

Danger: regarding "clearing your cache": at a guess, Greg meant that we should clear our browser cache. Precise instructions will depend upon which browser you happen to use, but for the always popular Firefox, try Edit -> Preferences -> Cache -> Clear Cache Now. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that anyone experiencing problems logging back in after being involuntarily logged off should also try clearing any cookies.

Chris Hillman

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  13. Nov 21, 2006 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not a new problem. You might to be able to recover your work with your browser's "back" button. But in any case, if you're spending a substantial amount of time on a post, you should probably be doing it in a text editor.

14. Nov 21, 2006 #13

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ack, I see Greg's still playing with the formatting! When I view a thread, the posts now arrange themselves in this lovely triangular shape, with the last posts in a thread being very, very narrow. :tongue: I'm tempted to write neoantidisestablishmentarianism in a post, just to see how it messes things up. :wink: (Yay, and things are now back to normal)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  15. Nov 21, 2006 #14
    haha its gonna be ugly for a little bit, going though all the changes and trying to apply the past skin can be challenging

16. Nov 21, 2006 #15
    (emphasis mine)

That would be in the Linux version of Firefox, I believe. For Windoze (Firefox 2.0), it's Tools->Options->Privacy-[Private Data] Clear Now... and there check the 'Cache' checkbox (the highlighted part is the same for both versions, though)

17. Nov 21, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you still working on the upgrade, Greg? There's not much point in us all reporting ongoing problems or trying to locate new features or whether old features are gone for good until you've had a chance to complete the upgrade. After it's completed to your satisfaction, we can report things that have gone missing and need to be found. :wink:

18. Nov 21, 2006 #17

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not able to view my journals, and I've saved some important informational files to them, so I'm kind of getting concerned. When will I be able to look at them?

19. Nov 21, 2006 #18

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

There's a couple of new threads in the homework help forum for calculus and beyond that have nothing in them, and I can't reply to them (invalid thread).

20. Nov 21, 2006 #19

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Whatever is wrong with GD now??

21. Nov 21, 2006 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Post editing has problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?