Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upgrading video cards

1. Aug 10, 2012 #1

DHF

Greetings,

I am currently building a new system and I am trying to get the most bang for my buck. my concern is over the video card currently. I have two in mind but I don’t want to pay for something that I wont get the full performance out of.

Both cards are Asus, the first is the GeForce GT 630 GT630-2GD3. its 2 gigs, DDR3 and the memory clock is at 1.8ghz

The second is a ENGT440/DI/1GD5 GeForce GT 440 with 1 gig of DDR5 memory and a clock speed of 3.2 ghz

My board is ASUS M5A99X EVO AMD 990X AM3+ and the CPU I am going with is a AMD-FX4100 quad core.

My concern is that some people have mentioned the DDR5 cards are actually faster than many CPUs can handle so you don’t get the full performance out of them. if that is the case here I would rather get the DDR3 card and get 2 gigs of memory.

can anyone tell me if my CPU and motherboard would be a bottleneck for the faster video card?

Thanks in advance,

Don

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2012 #2
    Good source for this infor is here http://www.tomshardware.com/

4. Aug 10, 2012 #3
    That's a 3.6ghz processor which is quite fast and almost all video cards made these days are ddr5 which should tell you something.

The vram has to hold not only the image being displayed, but whatever images the program predicts you might need next. For example, as you approach a corner it might predict it will need to display whatever is around the corner and so it loads that into the vram. The higher the resolution of the display and the more complex the scene the more data it has to store to prevent the game from faltering and some 80% of all the data in a game is just textures. However, if you do something it doesn't predict such as turning around, faster vram is more helpful.

System ram also plays a part, but unless you are going for an extreme desktop or have a monitor resolution above 1080p 4gb of system ram and 1gb of ddr5 vram are usually plenty. Most people who buy a video card with 2gb of vram have higher resolution monitors or multiple monitors. A few games coming out these days like Rage can use 3 or 4gb of vram even on a 1080p monitor because the textures are so large and I assume sometime in the future that will become the new standard as ultra resolution monitors flood the market, but not anytime soon.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  5. Aug 14, 2012 #4
    With a resolution of 4096x2160 the 36" LED backlit DuraVision FDH3601 is released next month, i personally can't wait!

Technically your right, its not the standard at all but the near future (2013) 4k monitors will be mainstream.

6. Aug 14, 2012 #5
    How about the AMD equivilent, the HD6670
    Personally i am an Nvidia fan boy, but at the low end of the spectrum AMD turns out slightly better in my opinion. mainly due to you already having an AMD Mobo + CPU, but if you can get your hands on the gtx440 it will be faster then the 630 and the hd6670, mainly due to the gddr5 and the 630 being based off the original 6300 chipset, but really comes down to what games you are planning on playing to get your "Full Performance"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook