1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uphill force equation

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

as a new physics student, i'm not sure how to derive the formula i need to answer this question.

there's a ramp that rises 1m in height and 20m in length. a block weighing 20,000kg needs to be pushed up it. (yup, we're building the pyramids). how much force is needed to push the block up the ramp?

2. Relevant equations

so i know that net force = mass * acceleration.
    i also think that the net force downhill along this ramp is 1m/20m or .05% of the block's weight, which is 1000kg.
    the book tells me the answer is 9800N.

3. The attempt at a solution

9800 N = 20,000kg * acceleration
    where N = kgm/s2
    acceleration = .49 m/s2, but why? and i suppose the book is rounding in some way to come up with 9800 N instead of 10,000?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2
    9.8*.05.your answer is 1000 kg right.multiply by g to find in N.I hope you know what is g.

4. May 13, 2012 #3
    If you have the block fall directly to earth, then you have an acceleration g=9.8m/s2/SUP]. You need force of mg to lift the block.

Now imagine if the block slide down the ramp. The acceleration must be slower than the direct drop.

Now you have mass and new acceleration value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook