Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uploading pictures

1. Feb 15, 2015 #1
    Sometimes it's easier to upload a photo of my work than to attempt to type up all of the equations using Latex (of which I am still a novice). However, it seems that I can only upload photos from a URL, and not directly from my computer. I upload my photos to ask.fm and use the link from there, but now that site is down. Is there a way around this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You can attach images to your posts, just select "UPLOAD A FILE" button below the edit field.

But I strongly suggest mastering LaTeX.

4. Feb 15, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I agree.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but LaTeX is a lot easier to read that the rotated scribbles that you posted here. Yes, it will take you more time to post something clear than to take a snapshot. But it will take your readers less time to understand it. If you are asking for help, does it not make sense to make it easy for the people trying to help you?

5. Feb 16, 2015 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Also, if people want to comment on a specific equation or correct it, they can use our "quote" feature on it, and make a copy and edit it. They can't do that with an equation that's one of several embedded in an image of a whole page of work.

For equations that aren't too complicated, it's OK to use plain text with subscripts and superscripts, and the symbols that are available under the big "sigma" button on the editing toolbar, e.g.

y = x0 + v0t + 0.5at2

t = √(2gh)

etc.

6. Feb 16, 2015 #5
    Thanks everyone. I figured out how latex works.

## y = x_0 + v_0 t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2 ##
    ## t = \sqrt{2gh} ##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook