Calculate Upper and Lower Sums for Variable Intervals

• Thread starter Uniquebum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the function f(x) = \frac{1}{n} when x=\frac{1}{n²}, n=1,2,... would only get one value if defined the way the author stated in the original post.
Uniquebum
Let [itex]f:[0,1]->ℝ[/itex] and [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{n}[/itex] when [itex]x=\frac{1}{n²}, n=1,2,...[/itex] and 0 in other case.

Define such spacing/interval [itex]D[/itex] that [itex]S_D-s_D < \frac{1}{100}[/itex]. Here [itex]S_D[/itex] refers to the upper sum and [itex]s_D[/itex] the the lower sum.Now, I'm not sure how to approach this really since the sum is defined so that the values of x jump a different interval every time. Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully i managed to explain the problem clearly enough.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Uniquebum said:
Let [itex]f:[0,1]->ℝ[/itex] and [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{n}[/itex] when [itex]x=\frac{1}{n²}, n=1,2,...[/itex] and 0 in other case.

Define such spacing/interval [itex]D[/itex] that [itex]S_D-s_D < \frac{1}{100}[/itex]. Here [itex]S_D[/itex] refers to the upper sum and [itex]s_D[/itex] the the lower sum.

Now, I'm not sure how to approach this really since the sum is defined so that the values of x jump a different interval every time. Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully i managed to explain the problem clearly enough.
That looks like a typo.

Is [itex]\displaystyle f(x) = \frac{1}{x}[/itex], when [itex]\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{n^2}, n=1,2,...[/itex] and 0 in otherwise.

... or perhaps ... [itex]\displaystyle f(x) = x[/itex], when [itex]\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{n^2}, n=1,2,...[/itex] and 0 in otherwise.

Are you doing this with Riemann sums ? ... and ... Do the intervals need to be equal in size?

It actually is [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{n}[/itex]. Yea, I'm trying to approach this with Riemann sums and the intervals don't need to be equal in size as far as i understand.

Right, I gave it a wild shot and this is what i came up with.

The upper sum is defined as
[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}(x_{k+1}-x_k)*sup(f(x))[/itex]

Now let's choose such width for the Riemann sum quadrilateral that
[itex]0.5*(\frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{n+1})= \frac{1}{2n(n+1)} = r_n[/itex].

Lets place each quadrilateral so that the supremus (=the point 1/n) is in the middle. This way the infimum will always be 0 and the lower sum [itex]s_D=0[/itex].

Calculating the upper sum gives
[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}(x_{k+1}-x_k)*sup(f(x)) = \sum_{k=1}^{n}(2*r_n*\frac{k}{n})[/itex]
because [itex]\frac{k}{n}, k=1,...,n[/itex] goes through all the supremums.
So
[itex]S_D = \sum_{k=1}^{n}(2*r_n*\frac{k}{n}) = 2*r_n\sum_{k=1}^{n}k[/itex]
which with a little work leads into
[itex]S_D = \frac{1}{2n}[/itex] since [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}k=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/itex]

Now [itex]S_D-s_d=\frac{1}{2n}-0=\frac{1}{2n}<\frac{1}{100}[/itex] when [itex]n\geq 50[/itex].

Whether that's right or wrong is beyond me...

SammyS said:
That looks like a typo.

Is [itex]\displaystyle f(x) = \frac{1}{x}[/itex], when [itex]\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{n^2}, n=1,2,...[/itex] and 0 in otherwise.

... or perhaps ... [itex]\displaystyle f(x) = x[/itex], when [itex]\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{n^2}, n=1,2,...[/itex] and 0 in otherwise.

Are you doing this with Riemann sums ? ... and ... Do the intervals need to be equal in size?
I'm actually starting to wonder whether it might be a typo by my professor.

Since it seems the function would only get one value if defined the way i stated in the original post. [itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex] right?... or?

What is the purpose of calculating upper and lower sums for variable intervals?

The purpose of calculating upper and lower sums for variable intervals is to estimate the area under a curve or a function that has a changing rate of change. By dividing the interval into smaller subintervals and finding the upper and lower sums for each subinterval, we can get a more accurate approximation of the total area.

How do you calculate the upper sum for variable intervals?

To calculate the upper sum for variable intervals, we first divide the interval into smaller subintervals. Then, we find the maximum value of the function within each subinterval and multiply it by the width of the subinterval. Finally, we add up all of these values to get the upper sum.

How do you calculate the lower sum for variable intervals?

To calculate the lower sum for variable intervals, we follow a similar process as the upper sum. We divide the interval into smaller subintervals, find the minimum value of the function within each subinterval, and multiply it by the width of the subinterval. Finally, we add up all of these values to get the lower sum.

What is the difference between the upper and lower sum for variable intervals?

The upper sum represents an overestimate of the total area under the curve, while the lower sum represents an underestimate. This is because the upper sum uses the maximum values of the function within each subinterval, while the lower sum uses the minimum values. The actual area under the curve will fall somewhere between the upper and lower sums.

How can we improve the accuracy of our calculations for variable intervals?

We can improve the accuracy of our calculations by using more subintervals. The smaller the width of the subintervals, the closer our upper and lower sums will be to the actual area under the curve. We can also use more advanced numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to get a more accurate approximation of the area.