1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upper and lower sum

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    Let [itex]f:[0,1]->ℝ[/itex] and [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{n}[/itex] when [itex]x=\frac{1}{n²}, n=1,2,...[/itex] and 0 in other case.

Define such spacing/interval [itex]D[/itex] that [itex]S_D-s_D < \frac{1}{100}[/itex]. Here [itex]S_D[/itex] refers to the upper sum and [itex]s_D[/itex] the the lower sum.

Now, i'm not sure how to approach this really since the sum is defined so that the values of x jump a different interval every time. Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully i managed to explain the problem clearly enough.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks like a typo.

Is [itex]\displaystyle f(x) = \frac{1}{x}[/itex], when [itex]\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{n^2}, n=1,2,...[/itex] and 0 in otherwise.

... or perhaps ... [itex]\displaystyle f(x) = x[/itex], when [itex]\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{n^2}, n=1,2,...[/itex] and 0 in otherwise.

Are you doing this with Riemann sums ? ... and ... Do the intervals need to be equal in size?

4. Apr 26, 2012 #3
    It actually is [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{n}[/itex]. Yea, i'm trying to approach this with Riemann sums and the intervals don't need to be equal in size as far as i understand.

5. Apr 26, 2012 #4
    Right, I gave it a wild shot and this is what i came up with.

The upper sum is defined as
    [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}(x_{k+1}-x_k)*sup(f(x))[/itex]

Now let's choose such width for the Riemann sum quadrilateral that
    [itex]0.5*(\frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{n+1})= \frac{1}{2n(n+1)} = r_n[/itex].

Lets place each quadrilateral so that the supremus (=the point 1/n) is in the middle. This way the infimum will always be 0 and the lower sum [itex]s_D=0[/itex].

Calculating the upper sum gives
    [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}(x_{k+1}-x_k)*sup(f(x)) = \sum_{k=1}^{n}(2*r_n*\frac{k}{n})[/itex]
    because [itex]\frac{k}{n}, k=1,...,n[/itex] goes through all the supremums.
    So
    [itex]S_D = \sum_{k=1}^{n}(2*r_n*\frac{k}{n}) = 2*r_n\sum_{k=1}^{n}k[/itex]
    which with a little work leads into
    [itex]S_D = \frac{1}{2n}[/itex] since [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}k=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/itex]

Now [itex]S_D-s_d=\frac{1}{2n}-0=\frac{1}{2n}<\frac{1}{100}[/itex] when [itex]n\geq 50[/itex].

Whether that's right or wrong is beyond me...

6. Apr 26, 2012 #5
    I'm actually starting to wonder whether it might be a typo by my professor.

Since it seems the function would only get one value if defined the way i stated in the original post. [itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex] right?... or?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook