1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upper and Lower sums & Riemann sums

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I have attachments that can answer the above template, and please look at the attachments if you are trying to help me.

I have two questions regarding upper and lower sums & Riemann sums.

So, the attachments 1 & 2 are example 5 and 6 from the book that I am using. I have underlined in red where I cannot understand how the examples are solved.

Where do these two underlined inequalities come from? How can I find these inequalities (method/approach)?

I want to make sure that I understand these and practice some other questions of the same type, so if you happen to have some question(s) of this type, please inform me.

The third attachment, 3 is the continuation of explanation of Riemann sums, and then the book starts by llPll, which I do not understand, and end the chapter with some limit, which I also do not understand.

My name is Ace, and I will say hello now since you've read through my lines. Please clarify these questions if you have a clue and can explain in a good way. Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      53.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      39.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      28.9 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?