Upper & Lower Sums: Calculating & Understanding Mi & mi

• Thread starter imull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sums
In summary, upper and lower sums are calculated by finding the maximum and minimum values of a function within a certain interval, which determine the heights of the taller and shorter rectangles. The notation for this involves using ##M_i## and ##m_i## to represent the x values for the taller and shorter rectangles, respectively.
imull
I am really having trouble understanding how upper and lower sums are calculated. In the equations Ʃf(Mi)Δx and Ʃf(mi)Δx, what do Mi and mi represent?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easiest to understand if you look at a picture. In the figure below (shamelessly borrowed from elsewhere via Google Images), the pink rectangles represent the upper sums and the green rectangles represent the lower sums.

In other words, the ##M_i## are the heights of the taller (pink + green) rectangles, and the ##m_i## are the heights of the shorter (green only) rectangles.

How are the heights determined? Quite simple. Each tall rectangle is exactly as high as the maximum value of the function within the width of the rectangle. Each short rectangle is exactly as high as the minimum value of the function.

fFUOJ.png

Attachments

• fFUOJ.png
    fFUOJ.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 387
Likes 1 person
jbunniii said:
In other words, the ##M_i## are the heights of the taller (pink + green) rectangles, and the ##m_i## are the heights of the shorter (green only) rectangles.

No. ##M_i## are the x values such that ##f(M_i)## are the heights of the taller rectangles. Similarly for ##m_i##.

You're correct of course, but that is such unusual notation it makes you wonder if the OP copied the expression correctly from his text.

pwsnafu said:
No. ##M_i## are the x values such that ##f(M_i)## are the heights of the taller rectangles. Similarly for ##m_i##.
Oh, weird. You're right. I misread the question to say what it would have said in most books.

I did copy them from my text. I wasn't sure how else to go about this.

1. What is the definition of "Upper & Lower Sums"?

Upper and lower sums are mathematical concepts used in calculus to approximate the area under a curve. They are calculated by dividing the area under the curve into smaller rectangles and finding the sum of the areas of these rectangles.

2. How do you calculate Upper & Lower Sums?

To calculate upper and lower sums, you need to first divide the interval of the function into smaller subintervals. Then, find the upper sum by multiplying the length of each subinterval by the maximum value of the function in that interval and adding all the results. Similarly, the lower sum is calculated by multiplying the length of each subinterval by the minimum value of the function in that interval and adding all the results.

3. What is the significance of Upper & Lower Sums in calculus?

Upper and lower sums are used to approximate the area under a curve when the exact value cannot be determined. They are also used to find the Riemann sum, which is a fundamental concept in integral calculus.

4. How do Upper & Lower Sums help in understanding the behavior of a function?

By dividing the area under a curve into smaller rectangles, upper and lower sums provide a visual representation of the behavior of a function. They can help in understanding the overall trend of the function and identifying important features such as maximum and minimum values.

5. Can Upper & Lower Sums be used for functions other than polynomials?

Yes, upper and lower sums can be used for any continuous function. However, as the complexity of the function increases, the accuracy of the approximation may decrease. In these cases, advanced numerical methods may be used to calculate the area under the curve.