1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upper bound for e^(-x^2)

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    Can anyone suggest an upper bound for [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] that can be integrated easily?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On what interval? Just guessing maybe ##[0,\infty)##? This is really easy. What have you thought of so far?

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3
    I've just realised it's less than 1 for all x.

5. Apr 15, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You haven't answered the question about what interval, or told us what problem you are trying to solve.

6. Apr 15, 2012 #5
    It doesn't matter now; I know how to do it!

7. Apr 15, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not if you were trying a comparison test on ##[0,\infty)##.

8. Apr 16, 2012 #7
    It's actually on a finite interval [itex][-n,n][/itex], but yes the integral of 1 would diverge on [itex][0,\infty)[/itex]

9. Apr 16, 2012 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you asserting that "1 times infinity" is a finite number?

10. Apr 16, 2012 #9
    All I need to show is that [itex]\int_{-n}^n e^{-x^2} dx[/itex] converges as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex]. This is the last part of a bigger question where I'm trying to use the Monotone Convergence Theorem to show that [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] is Lebesgue integrable over [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Since [itex]0 \leqslant e^{-x^2} \leqslant 1[/itex] and [itex]\int_{-n}^n 1 \; dx =0 \to 0[/itex] as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex] it follows from the comparison test that [itex]\int_{-n}^n e^{-x^2} dx[/itex] converges as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex].

(I'm not asked to find [itex]\int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-x^2}[/itex], just to prove it is Lebesgue integrable using the MCT.)

11. Apr 16, 2012 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it isn't.

12. Apr 16, 2012 #11
    Oh yeah, it equals [itex]2n[/itex] which diverges as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex].

But doesn't that contradict the comparison test?

I'm trying to show that [itex]\int_{-n}^n e^{-x^2}dx[/itex] converges, but the comparison test implies it diverges.

13. Apr 16, 2012 #12
    Yep, it diverges, assuming you mean as [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}[/itex]. Why do you think it converges?

14. Apr 16, 2012 #13
    Well, OK. Let's start from scratch.

I'm trying to prove [itex]f(x) = e^{-x^2} \in L^1(\mathbb{R})[/itex] ; that is, that [itex]f[/itex] is Lebesgue integrable over [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Let [itex]f(x) = e^{-x^2} \chi_{(-\infty , \infty)}(x)[/itex] and [itex]f_n = f \chi_{[-n,n]}[/itex].

Since [itex]f\geqslant 0[/itex], [itex](f_n)[/itex] is an increasing sequence of functions which converges everywhere to [itex]f[/itex].

We want to show that [itex]f[/itex] is integrable so it suffices to show [itex]\int f_n[/itex] converges as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex]. It then follows from the Monotone Convergence Theorem that [itex]f\in L^1 (\mathbb{R})[/itex] (and [itex]\int f = \lim_{n\to\infty} \int f_n[/itex]).

We use the given hint ("don't try to find [itex]\int f[/itex] ; integrate a simpler upper bound instead").

We see that [itex]f_n[/itex] is bounded by... The integral of this upper bound converges, so by comparison test [itex]\int f_n[/itex] converges.

15. Apr 16, 2012 #14

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Of course not. Given functions [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]g(x)[/itex] such that [itex]0\le f(x) \le g(x)[/itex] for all x and such that [itex]\lim_{s\to\infty}\int_{-s}^s g(x) dx[/itex] diverges says nothing about the convergence or divergence of [itex]\lim_{s\to\infty}\int_{-s}^s f(x) dx[/itex].

There are plenty of positive definite functions [itex]f(x)[/itex] that are bounded from above by [itex]g(x)=1[/itex] whose integral over the real number line does converge. [itex]f(x)=\exp(-x^2)[/itex] is one such function.

16. Apr 16, 2012 #15
    Oh yes, it's the other way around for divergence isn't it: if [itex]\int f(x) dx[/itex] diverges then so does [itex]\int g(x) dx[/itex].

OK, so I need an upper bound whose integral converges then. Any suggestions?

17. Apr 16, 2012 #16

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. That would be solving your homework for you.

Huge hint: if [itex]0\le a \le 1[/itex] then [itex]\sqrt a \ge a[/itex], and if [itex]a\ge1[/itex] then [itex]\sqrt a \le a[/itex].

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  18. Apr 16, 2012 #17

Mentallic

Homework Helper

What about something with [tex]xe^{-x^2}[/tex]

19. Apr 16, 2012 #18
    But if [itex]x<0[/itex] then [itex]e^{-x^2} > xe^{-x^2}[/itex]

20. Apr 16, 2012 #19

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you care? exp(-x^2) is symmetric, so if the integral from 0 to infinity exists, then so does the integral from -infinity to infinity.

21. Apr 16, 2012 #20
    Bingo! If only I'd drawn a graph first...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook