Finding an Upper Bound for e^(-x^2) for Easy Integration

In summary, the conversation involves a group of individuals discussing ways to find an upper bound for the function e^{-x^2} that can be easily integrated. The conversation covers various approaches and strategies, including using the Monotone Convergence Theorem and the Comparison Test. Ultimately, the group comes to the conclusion that e^{-x^2} is symmetric and can be bounded by xe^{-x^2}, which is easily integrable on the interval [1,∞).
Ted123
Can anyone suggest an upper bound for [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] that can be integrated easily?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ted123 said:
Can anyone suggest an upper bound for [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] that can be integrated easily?

On what interval? Just guessing maybe ##[0,\infty)##? This is really easy. What have you thought of so far?

LCKurtz said:
On what interval? Just guessing maybe ##[0,\infty)##? This is really easy. What have you thought of so far?

I've just realized it's less than 1 for all x.

Ted123 said:
I've just realized it's less than 1 for all x.

You haven't answered the question about what interval, or told us what problem you are trying to solve.

LCKurtz said:
You haven't answered the question about what interval, or told us what problem you are trying to solve.

It doesn't matter now; I know how to do it!

Ted123 said:
It doesn't matter now; I know how to do it!

Not if you were trying a comparison test on ##[0,\infty)##.

LCKurtz said:
Not if you were trying a comparison test on ##[0,\infty)##.

It's actually on a finite interval [itex][-n,n][/itex], but yes the integral of 1 would diverge on [itex][0,\infty)[/itex]

Are you asserting that "1 times infinity" is a finite number?

All I need to show is that [itex]\int_{-n}^n e^{-x^2} dx[/itex] converges as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex]. This is the last part of a bigger question where I'm trying to use the Monotone Convergence Theorem to show that [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] is Lebesgue integrable over [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Since [itex]0 \leqslant e^{-x^2} \leqslant 1[/itex] and [itex]\int_{-n}^n 1 \; dx =0 \to 0[/itex] as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex] it follows from the comparison test that [itex]\int_{-n}^n e^{-x^2} dx[/itex] converges as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex].

(I'm not asked to find [itex]\int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-x^2}[/itex], just to prove it is Lebesgue integrable using the MCT.)

Ted123 said:
[itex]\int_{-n}^n 1 \; dx =0[/itex]
No, it isn't.

D H said:
No, it isn't.

Oh yeah, it equals [itex]2n[/itex] which diverges as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex].

But doesn't that contradict the comparison test?

I'm trying to show that [itex]\int_{-n}^n e^{-x^2}dx[/itex] converges, but the comparison test implies it diverges.

Yep, it diverges, assuming you mean as [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}[/itex]. Why do you think it converges?

Whovian said:
Yep, it diverges, assuming you mean as [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}[/itex]. Why do you think it converges?

Well, OK. Let's start from scratch.

I'm trying to prove [itex]f(x) = e^{-x^2} \in L^1(\mathbb{R})[/itex] ; that is, that [itex]f[/itex] is Lebesgue integrable over [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Let [itex]f(x) = e^{-x^2} \chi_{(-\infty , \infty)}(x)[/itex] and [itex]f_n = f \chi_{[-n,n]}[/itex].

Since [itex]f\geqslant 0[/itex], [itex](f_n)[/itex] is an increasing sequence of functions which converges everywhere to [itex]f[/itex].

We want to show that [itex]f[/itex] is integrable so it suffices to show [itex]\int f_n[/itex] converges as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex]. It then follows from the Monotone Convergence Theorem that [itex]f\in L^1 (\mathbb{R})[/itex] (and [itex]\int f = \lim_{n\to\infty} \int f_n[/itex]).

We use the given hint ("don't try to find [itex]\int f[/itex] ; integrate a simpler upper bound instead").

We see that [itex]f_n[/itex] is bounded by... The integral of this upper bound converges, so by comparison test [itex]\int f_n[/itex] converges.

Ted123 said:
Oh yeah, it equals [itex]2n[/itex] which diverges as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex].

But doesn't that contradict the comparison test?
Of course not. Given functions [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]g(x)[/itex] such that [itex]0\le f(x) \le g(x)[/itex] for all x and such that [itex]\lim_{s\to\infty}\int_{-s}^s g(x) dx[/itex] diverges says nothing about the convergence or divergence of [itex]\lim_{s\to\infty}\int_{-s}^s f(x) dx[/itex].

There are plenty of positive definite functions [itex]f(x)[/itex] that are bounded from above by [itex]g(x)=1[/itex] whose integral over the real number line does converge. [itex]f(x)=\exp(-x^2)[/itex] is one such function.

D H said:
Of course not. Given functions [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]g(x)[/itex] such that [itex]0\le f(x) \le g(x)[/itex] for all x and such that [itex]\lim_{s\to\infty}\int_{-s}^s g(x) dx[/itex] diverges says nothing about the convergence or divergence of [itex]\lim_{s\to\infty}\int_{-s}^s f(x) dx[/itex].

There are plenty of positive definite functions [itex]f(x)[/itex] that are bounded from above by [itex]g(x)=1[/itex] whose integral over the real number line does converge. [itex]f(x)=\exp(-x^2)[/itex] is one such function.

Oh yes, it's the other way around for divergence isn't it: if [itex]\int f(x) dx[/itex] diverges then so does [itex]\int g(x) dx[/itex].

OK, so I need an upper bound whose integral converges then. Any suggestions?

Ted123 said:
OK, so I need an upper bound whose integral converges then. Any suggestions?
No. That would be solving your homework for you.

Huge hint: if [itex]0\le a \le 1[/itex] then [itex]\sqrt a \ge a[/itex], and if [itex]a\ge1[/itex] then [itex]\sqrt a \le a[/itex].

Last edited:
What about something with [tex]xe^{-x^2}[/tex]

Mentallic said:
What about something with [tex]xe^{-x^2}[/tex]

But if [itex]x<0[/itex] then [itex]e^{-x^2} > xe^{-x^2}[/itex]

Do you care? exp(-x^2) is symmetric, so if the integral from 0 to infinity exists, then so does the integral from -infinity to infinity.

D H said:
Do you care? exp(-x^2) is symmetric, so if the integral from 0 to infinity exists, then so does the integral from -infinity to infinity.

Bingo! If only I'd drawn a graph first...

Ted123 said:
But if [itex]x<0[/itex] then [itex]e^{-x^2} > xe^{-x^2}[/itex]

Not only that, but if [itex]0\leq x < 1[/itex] then it still holds that [itex]e^{-x^2} > xe^{-x^2}[/itex]
But it is clear that since [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] is symmetric about the y-axis as f(x)=f(-x), and the function is finite over [itex]x\in [0,1][/itex] then all you need to do is show that [itex]xe^{-x^2}[/itex] is convergent for [itex]x\in [1,\infty)[/itex].

1. What is the significance of an upper bound for e^(-x^2)?

An upper bound for e^(-x^2) is the largest possible value that the function can reach. It is often used in mathematical analysis to determine the behavior of a function and its limit.

2. How is an upper bound for e^(-x^2) calculated?

The upper bound for e^(-x^2) is typically calculated using mathematical proofs and techniques, such as the Mean Value Theorem or the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. It is important to note that the upper bound may vary depending on the interval or range of values for x.

3. What is the relationship between an upper bound for e^(-x^2) and the Gaussian function?

The Gaussian function, also known as the bell curve, is closely related to the upper bound for e^(-x^2). The Gaussian function can be represented as e^(-x^2/2), which is a special case of e^(-x^2). The upper bound for e^(-x^2) is often used to analyze the behavior of the Gaussian function.

4. Can an upper bound for e^(-x^2) be negative?

No, an upper bound for e^(-x^2) cannot be negative. The function e^(-x^2) is always positive, and its upper bound represents the maximum value it can reach. If the upper bound is negative, it would contradict the nature of the function.

5. How is an upper bound for e^(-x^2) useful in real-world applications?

An upper bound for e^(-x^2) is useful in various fields, such as statistics, physics, and economics. It can help in approximating the behavior of a system or predicting the outcomes of experiments. In economics, it is used to analyze the distribution of income or wealth among a population.