1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upper division E & M

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1
    So I kinda got painted into a corner this upcoming quarter. Im trying to do a Math/Physics double major and with all the req's for both majors, I pretty much got no time to be taking easy quarters (unless I wanna waste time going to school an extra year. Im 31 y/o, I still wanna do grad school, so no...there is no more 'taking my time').

With a few scheduling conflicts, I couldnt find/fit an extra math class for winter, so I decided to enroll in the first quarter of upper division E and M.

Heres the thing: I took lower division E and M over the summer, I have not taken the first quarter of upper division classical mechanics, nor have I taken the first quarter of lower division modern physics (quantum and special relativity). Is upper div E and M doable for me? The pre-reqs only require Multi-Var calc, Math Methods for Physics and lower div E and M of which Ive done all three.

My schedule would look like this:
    Upper Div Linear Algebra II
    Abstract Algebra I
    Lower Div Modern Physics I
    Lower Div Experimental Physics Lab II (basically a experimental techniques lab)
    and of course Upper Div Electromagnetic Theory I

Does this sound like a doable scenerio? I should mention that I am retaking Abstract Algebra (had to drop it due to severe illness this past quarter).

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2009 #2
    As long as you're comfortable with vector calculus you'll be fine. It's all reasonably straightforward as long as you are buddy-buddy with div, grad, and curl.

4. Dec 7, 2009 #3
    Yeah, Im solid with it now. I took Multi-Var calc last fall, then took Math Methods (with Boas' text) over the summer which was pretty much a crash course on the first two years of Uni math, which included vector calc, so I'm pretty much up to date on that stuff.

5. Dec 12, 2009 #4
    E&M is totally doable with your background. I took it as an EE major and I also only had the first semester of modern physics and no classical mechanics or any other upper-division physics classes. I got an A in the class and actually did better than some of the physics majors! I will warn you though, that while the problems don't require any math higher than vector calc and linear algebra/diff eq, they are often extremely long, complex, and time-consuming. Expect to take at least 10 hours to finish a homework assignment with 4-5 problems (if you're very good at vector calc and generally mathematically competent) or as many as 30-40 hours per assignment (if you struggle).

6. Dec 13, 2009 #5
    Hahaha...after having plowed through some of these abstract algebra problems, Im no longer fazed by marathon problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook