Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upper limit gives zero

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    I was performing a Laplace transformation problem,where I happened to face:

{lower limit constant and upper limit infinity} exp [(i-s)t] the variable being t.

I am not sure if the upper limit gives zero,but if I assume that the answer becomes correct.

Can anyone please tell me why the upper limit is zero here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2
    OK,I am writing it in LaTeX:

[tex]\int^\infty_{2\pi/3}[/tex] [tex]\ e^{(i-s)t} [/tex] [tex]\ dt [/tex]

4. Nov 19, 2007 #3
    Friends,I do not know why the exponential dd not appear.Please assume this and let me know:

5. Nov 19, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, obviously, the anti-derivative is
    [tex]\int e^{(i-s)t}dt= \frac{1}{i-s}e^{(i-s)t}[/tex]
    IF s> i, then the limit as t goes to infinity will be 0. If [itex]s\le i[/itex] the integral does not exist.

6. Nov 19, 2007 #5
    I see...Thank you.

Can you please tell me why the integral does not exist for i<s?

7. Nov 19, 2007 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moreover, what does an expression like [itex]s \leq i[/itex] mean, considering that the complex numbers are not ordered?

If [itex]s = \sigma + i\omega[/itex], then

[tex]\begin{array}{rcl}\frac 1 {i - s} e^{(i -s)t} & = & \frac1 {i - \sigma - i\omega} e ^{(i- \sigma - i\omega)t}\\&&\\ &=& \frac 1 {-\sigma + i(1-\omega)} e^{i(1-\omega)t} e^{-\sigma t}\end{array}[/tex]

which has a finite limit at infinity only if [itex]\sigma > 0[/itex], and hence [itex]\Re(s) > 0[/itex].

Hmm...maybe that's what was meant originally, then.

8. Nov 19, 2007 #7
    Yes,I afree.
    If you take the modulus,the ghost of exp[it] runs away and the thing goes to zero as t tends to infinity

9. Nov 20, 2007 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My mistake. I had not realized that "i" was the imaginary unit! In that case, separate it into two parts. [itex]e^{(i-s)t}= e^{it}e^{-st}[/itex]. The [itex]e^{it}[/itex] part oscilates (it is a sin, cos combination) while e^{-st} will go to 0 as t goes to infinity because of the negative exponential. The entire product goes to 0 very quickly so the anti-derivative goes to 0.

(The "ghost" of eit- I like that.)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?