1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upper Triangular Matrix

1. Feb 26, 2006 #1
    "Let A be an upper triangular matrix with entires in a field F. Suppose that all the diagonal entries of A are equal. Show that A is diagonalizable if and only if it is diagonal."

I'm reviewing old assignments for a midterm. I remember doing this (backward direction is trivial), I can't remember how, but I remember it was easy. Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2006 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If A is similar to a diagonal matrix D, what can you say about the diagonal entries of D?

4. Feb 26, 2006 #3
    What do you mean by similar? Do you mean they differ by a few entries? In that case the diagonal entries of D will be the same of that of A.

5. Feb 27, 2006 #4

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A is similar to D if there exists an invertible matrix X where X*A*X^{-1}=D.

Saying "A is similar to a diagonal matrix D" is the same thing as saying "A is diagonalizable" except I find it gives a less cumbersome way to give this diagonal matrix a name.

So what can you say about the entries of this D?

6. Feb 27, 2006 #5
    I don't know, but I found a way of doing it:

A is upper triangular, and the diagonal entries are all equal, therefore A has a single eingenvalue e. Suppose A is diagonalizable, then V=null(A-eI), therefore A=eI.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?