Halving 220V Output Voltage: Investigating the Problem

This way one can feed 240V appliances from a 120V supply. The primary of the transformer is designed to be connected across phases to give you 240V. The two halves of the secondary are 180 degrees out of phase. So the output to output voltage is 240V, while either output to ground is 120V.In summary, the 20 KVA UPS in the plant has a three-phase, 440 Volt, 50 HZ input and single-phase, 220 Volt output from an isolation transformer. However, when measured with respect to ground, the output voltage is halved to 110 Volts. This is most likely due to a center tap transformer design, where the tap is connected to ground
sbsapre
Dear All,

In our plant , we have an 20 KVA UPS with three phase , 440 Volts , 50 HZ input . The output is single phase 220 Volts outputted from Isolation transformer.
I find it strange though output voltage between two terminal of isolation transformer is 220 Volts , when measured with respect to ground , it is 110 Volts.
I want to understand how the output voltage is halved when measured with respect to ground.
Another problem whenever output voltage is connected to load which is normally fed by another 20 KVA UPS having 3 phase , 4 wire , 440 volts output , the single phase UPS fails.
We have taken precaution of connecting two terminals of 220 KVA single phase UPS to one phase and ground of the load terminals which are normally fed by UPS having three phase output.
I shall appreciate valuable inputs from members.
Regards,

S.B. SAPRE

Engineering news on Phys.org
sbsapre said:
Dear All,

I find it strange though output voltage between two terminal of isolation transformer is 220 Volts , when measured with respect to ground , it is 110 Volts.
I want to understand how the output voltage is halved when measured with respect to ground.
Most likely it is a center tap transformer. With the tap connected to ground.

Dear S.B. SAPRE,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. It is indeed strange that the output voltage of your 20 KVA UPS is halved when measured with respect to ground. There could be several reasons for this, and I suggest we investigate further to determine the root cause of the problem.

One possibility could be an issue with the isolation transformer itself. It is possible that there is a faulty connection or a damaged component within the transformer that is causing the voltage drop when measured with respect to ground. Another possibility could be an issue with the grounding system in your plant. If the grounding is not properly set up, it could affect the voltage readings and potentially cause the UPS to fail when connected to a load.

I recommend conducting a thorough inspection of the isolation transformer and its components to check for any signs of damage or malfunction. It would also be beneficial to review the grounding system and ensure it is properly installed and functioning correctly. If necessary, consulting a professional electrician or engineer could help in identifying and resolving the issue.

Thank you for seeking input from our members. I'm sure others in our community may have additional insights or suggestions to offer. Let's work together to troubleshoot and resolve this issue.

What is halving 220V output voltage?

Halving 220V output voltage refers to the process of reducing the voltage from 220 volts to 110 volts. This can be done using a transformer or a voltage divider circuit.

Why would someone want to halve the 220V output voltage?

There are several reasons why someone might want to halve the 220V output voltage. One common reason is to adapt to different electrical standards in different countries. In some countries, the standard voltage is 220V while in others it is 110V. By halving the voltage, electronic devices can be used in different countries without the need for a voltage converter.

What are the potential problems with halving 220V output voltage?

One potential problem is a decrease in power output. When the voltage is halved, the current must be doubled to maintain the same power output. This can lead to overheating and damage to the electronic device or power source. There may also be issues with voltage drops and instability in the electrical system.

How can the problem of halving 220V output voltage be investigated?

The problem can be investigated by using a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. This can help identify any voltage drops or changes in current that may be causing the issue. It is also important to check the components of the circuit, such as the transformer or voltage divider, for any damage or defects.

What are some potential solutions for the problem of halving 220V output voltage?

Some potential solutions include using a higher quality transformer or voltage divider, ensuring proper grounding and wiring, and using a voltage regulator to stabilize the output voltage. It is also important to carefully follow the specifications and guidelines for halving the voltage to prevent any potential issues.