Why is UPS Power Split and Balanced?

• Thread starter RNickl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, The power filter on my friend's Monster branded power supply splits the power so that the neutral and hot wires are each carrying 60VAC. I think this is done for some advantage, though I'm not sure what it is. Additionally, when the power is cut off, some UPS's leave 60VAC in phase on the legs.
RNickl
A friend of mine recently asked if I could take a look at his Monster brand power filter that wasn't working and I noticed it splits the power so, what normally would be neutral and hot, legs are split to carry 60VAC each. I think I've seen this on all the UPS's I've measured as well.
Anybody have some insight on why this split/balanced configuration is used? There must be some advantage?

Also...I've come to notice, when this Monster filter and some of the UPS's I've measured in the past seem to keep supplying 60VAC to the legs after the device is off. Measuring between hot and neutral reads 0V but ground to either leg reads 60VAC. Two legs in phase with each other? This seems like a bit of a dangerous setup, any thoughts on why this would be done?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you talking UPS or power line filter or surge protector? please be specific and post some model numbers or links.

Last edited:
We can stick with UPS's. I only mentioned the Monster "power conditioner" because I had recently fixed it and noticed the same thing. Chances are good the OEM built it that way for marketing as there seems to be some audio voodoo about "balanced power" floating about some audio forums. Chances are better UPS's are designed this way for non voodoo reasons.

I don't have any specific model numbers. I work in SMT manufacturing and the reflow ovens have UPS's to keep the conveyor running if there is a power problem. The UPS's in this hot environment only last a couple years so, I've replaced dozens of them in my time. I think every UPS I measured over the years had split the legs on the power.
I might have a working UPS at my shop but I need to measure it and get a model number later in the week if needed.

I think my biggest concern is that many of the UPS's I've looked at leave 60VAC in phase on the legs when powered off. I often need to be cautious of this when I work on a piece of equipment the uses a UPS, throwing the main breaker isn't always enough!

OK. You are telling me something I don't know anything about.

BalancedPowerBasicSchematic_zps308f1879.jpg

It seem like what you are saying is that when the circuit breaker is thrown, you still see 60V on outlet. I'm not sure why that would be.
Here are some articles --- maybe there is a clue there. http://equitech.com/articles/articles.html

Thanks BigGuy. That link should give me a couple days of reading. I did run into that schematic on a few of my searches also.

"It seem like what you are saying is that when the circuit breaker is thrown, you still see 60V on outlet"
Now that I read it, I may have misspoke. When I turn the UPS off I still get 60V, I have not tested after I've killed power to the UPS. I just made an assumption and unplug them when needed. I'll take a look at that when I get back to my shop later this week but still wonder why they split the leg in the first place? Maybe your link will reveal more info.

Why is UPS Power Split and Balanced?

UPS power is split and balanced to ensure that critical equipment receives a stable and uninterrupted power supply. This helps to prevent power surges, voltage drops, and other forms of electrical interference that can damage sensitive equipment.

What is the purpose of splitting and balancing UPS power?

The purpose of splitting and balancing UPS power is to distribute the load evenly across multiple power sources. This helps to prevent overloading of a single power source and ensures that all equipment receives a consistent level of power.

How does UPS power splitting and balancing work?

UPS power splitting and balancing works by using multiple power sources, typically two or more UPS units, to supply power to critical equipment. The power load is distributed across these sources, and any variations in voltage or frequency are corrected to provide a stable and balanced power supply.

What are the benefits of UPS power splitting and balancing?

The benefits of UPS power splitting and balancing include increased reliability and uptime for critical equipment, protection against power surges and voltage drops, and the ability to handle larger power loads. It also allows for easier maintenance and upgrades of individual UPS units without disrupting power to connected equipment.

Are there any drawbacks to UPS power splitting and balancing?

The main drawback of UPS power splitting and balancing is the initial cost of purchasing and setting up multiple UPS units. However, this cost is often justified by the increased protection and reliability it provides for critical equipment. Additionally, ongoing maintenance and monitoring may be required to ensure that the UPS units are operating properly and that the load is evenly distributed.