Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upside down rainbow seen just before China Quake

1. May 28, 2008 #1

Ian

I've just seen footage on U-Tube of a strange rainbow seen in the clouds just before the Quake last week. The colours are in reverse order to the usual after-shower rainbow.

My mind tells me that if the colours are reversed then the source of the radiation must be from the opposite direction, i.e., not from the Sun above but from the earth below.
    I would liken this to the visual effect we see if we bend a plastic ruler, if the effect in plastic is 'visual' it must certainly relate to e-m radiation, perhaps the earth under enormous stress also experiences a change in emissions that might be used to forecast these devastating events?

Any ideas or comments?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2008 #2

Art

Strong electro magnetic emissions are a common pre-cursor to Earthquakes which presumably is responsible for this effect. Japan has being doing research in this area in a bid to provide earlier and more accurate predictions of earthquakes.

4. May 28, 2008 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Someone posted about this in another thread somewhere. It isn't actually a rainbow (they thought it was an aurora, and it isn't that either), just something similar. Though Art is right and there may be some EM effects happening in conjunction with earthquakes, this phenomena looks like an ordinary sundog to me (and therefore unrelated to the earthquake).

Chinese phenomena:
    Sundog: http://www.orbwar.com/sundog-patterns-rainbow.htm [please ignore the rest of the crackpot site - this is a superb example of a sundog]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. May 28, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Russ is right. There are some pretty colorful atmospheric events from time to time, and this appears to be one of them.

Having viewed a LOT of EM events (aurorae) over the years, I can testify that they are best viewed when perfectly dark-adapted and even then the colors are not real vivid. Seeing ionized gases in the atmosphere in the day-time is a real stretch.

6. May 30, 2008 #5
    Oh wow, I think that is pretty amaizing. Have we ever had something like that in the US?

7. May 30, 2008 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Probably about every day, it happens somewhere! It's just a matter of the weather. I've seen them.

Here's more:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog

8. May 30, 2008 #7
    I have never saw one, I really want to, i bet they are beautiful

9. May 30, 2008 #8
    Just imagine how Hagee would analyze that one. Kind of like Hurricane Katrina assuming the shape of a fetus before hitting Louisiana. LOL

10. May 30, 2008 #9
    I saw this happen to a small cloud (here in the U.K) on my way home from work a couple of months back. The 1st and only time I've ever seen such a thing.

11. May 30, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I live in a part of the world that gets a lot of rain (Seattle area). I see these "sun dogs" very frequently, but I never knew they had a name. Cool!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?