Calculating Upward Support Force on a Rigid Beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the upward force exerted by support 1 on a 3.0-m-long rigid beam with a mass of 100 kg, with a 80 kg student standing 2.0 m from support 1. After some incorrect calculations, it is determined that the correct way to find the force is by taking into account the moment caused by the weight of the beam. The final answer is determined to be 751.33N.
guru
A 3.0-m-long rigid beam with a mass of 100 kg is supported at each end. A
80 kg student stands 2.0 m from support 1. How much upward force does support 1 exert on the beam?

I first found the weight of the student to be 784N.
so 784N*2cm =F*3cm
F= 522.67N
is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, its not. I think you forgot to take the moment caused by the weight of the beam.
I think this is how it should be done:
(2x784)+(1.5x980) = 3xF
This gives us the value of F(Force on the other support)=1012.67N
Substracting this value from the total downward force(784N+980N) we get the upward force exerted by the support1 be 751.33N

DeathKnight said:
No, its not. I think you forgot to take the moment caused by the weight of the beam.
I think this is how it should be done:
(2x784)+(1.5x980) = 3xF
This gives us the value of F(Force on the other support)=1012.67N
Substracting this value from the total downward force(784N+980N) we get the upward force exerted by the support1 be 751.33N

Yes, I forgot to consider the weight of the beam.
Thanks.

1. What is upward force on beam?

The upward force on a beam is the force exerted on the beam in an upward direction, typically caused by a support or load placed on the beam.

2. How is upward force on beam calculated?

The upward force on a beam can be calculated using the formula F = mg, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object exerting the force, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the unit of measurement for upward force on beam?

The unit of measurement for upward force on a beam is Newtons (N), which is a unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. Can upward force on beam change?

Yes, upward force on a beam can change if there is a change in the mass or position of the load on the beam, or if there is a change in the angle of the support or the direction of the force.

5. Why is upward force on beam important?

Understanding the upward force on a beam is important in engineering and construction, as it helps determine the stability and load-bearing capacity of the beam. It is also important in physics, as it is a fundamental force that helps objects stay in equilibrium.