Can You Quantify the Upward Force of a Rising Boat on an Incoming Tide?

In summary, the question is about how much upward force a boat exerts as it rises 1 foot on an incoming tide. The answer can be found by using Archimedes' Principle, which states that the force exerted on a floating object is equal to the weight of the water displaced. This means that to hold the boat down as the water rises, one would need to exert a force equal to the weight of the extra volume of water displaced. This amount of force could potentially be enough to strain a rope, depending on the size and weight of the boat.
ckrizan
Can anyone tell me how much upward force a boat (say 24 feet x 8 feet, weighing 4000 lbs) exerts as it rises 1 foot on an incoming tide? My son asked me whether or not somone could hold the boat down as it tried to rise and I thought not but can't quite figure out how to quantify how hard it would be to try. Is it something that would strain a rope if you tried to hold it down (assuming no stretch)? Is "force" even the right term? Should I be asking how much work is done?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ckrizan said:
Can anyone tell me how much upward force a boat (say 24 feet x 8 feet, weighing 4000 lbs) exerts as it rises 1 foot on an incoming tide? My son asked me whether or not somone could hold the boat down as it tried to rise and I thought not but can't quite figure out how to quantify how hard it would be to try. Is it something that would strain a rope if you tried to hold it down (assuming no stretch)? Is "force" even the right term? Should I be asking how much work is done?

Thanks.

Welcome to the PF. You can read more about bouyancy under the topic of Archimedes Principle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes_principle

The force exerted on a floating object is equal to the weight of the water displaced. So to answer your son's question, you will need to figure out the extra volume of water that gets displaced as you hold the boat in place and the water rises, and then figure out how much that extra volume of displaced water weighs.

If the water were up to the gunnels, a little downward force would sink it.

Similarily you could ask him how much force it would take to "pull" a boat down 1 foot.

hint: Let's say you have a 12'x4' boat. Then you have 48 cubic feet of displaced water. That's just under 3000 lb of displaced water...

Thanks everyone. So for I guess for my 24x8 example (assuming it's squared-off), that would be about 12,000 lbs of force. That's a lot.

Thanks again.

What is the concept of upward force rising boat?

The concept of upward force rising boat is known as buoyancy, which is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. In the case of a boat, the upward force is equal to the weight of the water displaced by the boat.

How does the shape of a boat affect upward force?

The shape of a boat plays a crucial role in determining the amount of upward force it experiences. A boat with a wider hull will have a larger surface area, resulting in more water being displaced and thus more upward force. Similarly, a boat with a deeper hull will also experience more upward force.

What factors affect the upward force on a boat?

The upward force on a boat is affected by several factors, including the weight and volume of the boat, the density of the water, and the shape and size of the boat's hull. Additionally, the amount of water displaced and the boat's position in the water also impact the upward force.

How does the upward force on a boat change with depth?

The upward force on a boat decreases as it goes deeper into the water. This is because the pressure of the water increases with depth, compressing the air inside the boat and reducing its buoyancy. As a result, the boat will have to displace more water to maintain an equilibrium, resulting in a decrease in upward force.

Can a boat sink due to upward force?

No, a boat cannot sink due to upward force alone. As long as the boat's weight is less than the upward force exerted by the water, it will remain afloat. However, if the weight of the boat exceeds the upward force, it will sink. This is why it is essential to distribute weight evenly on a boat to maintain its stability.