Calculating Tension in a Falling 5kg Brick on a Rope | Homework Problem

In summary, the question involves finding the tension in a rope holding a 5kg brick as it is lowered towards the ground with an acceleration of 1.5m/s^2. Using the equation T=mg+ma, where a is negative due to downward acceleration, the tension is calculated to be 41.5 N. It is important to note how this equation was derived in order to fully understand the solution.
demonslayer42

Homework Statement

A 5kg brick on a rope is lowered towards the ground. While the brick is accelerating downward at 1.5m/s^2, find the tension in the rope. What is the reaction force to the upward force of tension acting on the brick?

Homework Equations

Sum of F = ma
w = Fg = mg
g = 9.8 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically what I did was drew a diagram.

/\ T
#
#
# a = -9,8 m/s^2
#
#
\/ W = mg = 5.0(9.8) = 49 N

T = mg + ma = 49 + 5.0(-1.5) = 41.5 N

O.k. where did i go wrong? lol I can't figure this out and it's driving me crazy

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't look wrong to me...why do you think it is wrong?

Because I always do something wrong...You sure it's correct? I'm just really shocked I got it correct it seems to easy i must be missing something.

You noted correctly that T=mg + ma, where a is negative. How did you arrive at that equation? That's the most important part.

Your approach is correct, but there is a small mistake in your calculation. The equation T = mg + ma is the correct way to find the tension in the rope. However, when plugging in the values, you forgot to include the negative sign for the acceleration (-1.5m/s^2).

The correct calculation should be T = mg + ma = 49 + 5.0(-1.5) = 49 - 7.5 = 41.5 N.

The reaction force to the upward force of tension acting on the brick is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction, so it would also be 41.5 N. This is known as Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Overall, your approach was correct, but just be mindful of including all the necessary signs in your calculations. Keep up the good work!

1. What is upward force tension?

Upward force tension, also known as tension force, is a type of force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched. It is directed along the length of the object and can be caused by a variety of factors, such as gravity, mechanical forces, or electromagnetic forces.

2. How is upward force tension different from other types of forces?

Unlike other forces, which can be either pushing or pulling, upward force tension always pulls in the opposite direction of the applied force. This means that when an object is pulled upwards, the tension force will be directed downwards.

3. What are some examples of upward force tension in everyday life?

Some common examples of upward force tension include the tension in a rope used to pull a heavy object, the tension in a string of a musical instrument, and the tension in a rubber band when it is stretched.

4. How is upward force tension measured?

Upward force tension is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds. It can be measured using a tension meter, which applies a known force to an object and measures the resulting tension force.

5. What is the importance of understanding upward force tension?

Understanding upward force tension is crucial in many scientific fields, such as engineering, physics, and biology. It allows us to predict how objects will behave when they are pulled or stretched, and to design structures and materials that can withstand tension forces without breaking or deforming.