Upward forces applied to load cell in mobile application.

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a system that will be mounted to a truck traveling on rough terrain. The system includes an ingredient bin mounted to load cells, with the primary concern being the installation of travel stops to prevent overdeflection. While installing travel stops for downward deflection is not an issue, there is a disagreement over the need for upward deflection stops. The person speaking is conducting experiments to prove that they are not necessary, as the system is rigidly mounted and the only concern is shock load from the truck hitting the ground. The ultimate goal of the project is to accurately measure the weight of ingredients being dispensed from the truck, making accuracy and reliability crucial.
mstump
My current project is as follows:

Designing a system that will be mounted to a truck that will be traveling down the equivalent of a dirt road. Part of the system is an ingredient bin that is rigidly mounted to load cells. The loads cells are a cantileaverd beam type. The primary concern at this moment is installing overtravel stops so that the load cells don't deflect past their designed capacity as the truck is "bouncing" down the road.. Putting in travelstops for excessive downward deflection is not an issue. I don't believe that there is a need for a travel stop in the upward direction since the whole system moves together (everything is rigidly mounted) and the only concern is the shock load that would be applied as the truck hits the ground again. However I need to mathematically or experimentally prove that this is the case to my supervisor. He believes it is needed because it is similar to a roller coaster ride or riding in a school bus where you bounce out of you seat or have the sensation of coming out of your seat.

Engineering news on Phys.org
He believes that the same situation could occur with this system. I have been researching and performing experiments with a spring mounted cantileaver beam and a load cell to see if I can prove it with math or experimentally. The ultimate goal of this project is to be able to accurately measure the weight of the ingredients as the truck is traveling down the road. This is because the truck will be carrying multiple bins and will be used to dispense the ingredients at various sites. So accuracy and reliability is key.

1. What is a load cell?

A load cell is a transducer that is used to measure force or weight. It converts a physical force into an electrical signal, which can then be measured and recorded.

2. What is an upward force?

An upward force is a force that acts in the opposite direction of gravity, pushing an object away from the ground. In the context of a load cell, an upward force would be applied to the load cell in the direction opposite to the force of gravity.

3. How is an upward force applied to a load cell in a mobile application?

In a mobile application, an upward force can be applied to a load cell through various means, such as a user pushing or pulling on the device, or the device being placed on a surface that is then lifted upwards.

4. Why is it important to consider upward forces in load cell measurements for mobile applications?

Upward forces can affect the accuracy of load cell measurements in mobile applications, as they can introduce additional forces that may not be accounted for in the measurement. It is important to properly understand and account for these forces in order to obtain accurate and reliable measurements.

5. How can upward forces be controlled or minimized in load cell measurements for mobile applications?

Various techniques can be used to control or minimize upward forces in load cell measurements for mobile applications. These can include using a stable and level surface, ensuring the load cell is securely attached to the device, and using proper handling techniques to avoid introducing additional forces.