How is the fission of Uranium to Europium possible?

In summary, the website listing the yields of fission products for Uranium and other transuranic isotopes shows that the fission product 63-Eu-155 is rare but not impossible. However, there is no element with an atomic number lower than 29 on the list of fission products, making it difficult to understand how Uranium can split into Europium. One possibility is for Uranium to release several alpha particles or protons in the process, but this is not a common occurrence. Another explanation could be that the list is incomplete, as the sum of yields for fast fission products does not add up to 200%. Additionally, some isotopes have the same yields and are connected via beta decays.
barnflakes
According to the following website listing the yields of fission products for Uranium and other transuranic isotopes:

https://www-nds.iaea.org/sgnucdat/c3.htm

The fission product 63-Eu-155 is rare but not impossible.

According to my maths, this means there must be another daughter nuclei with atomic number 29 in order to conserve charge etc.

However, Copper (with atomic number 29) is not in the list of fission products, nor any element with an atomic number lower than this.

Therefore, I wonder how the fission of Uranium to Europium is possible?

The only way I can see this becoming possible is for Uranium to split into Europium and to release several alpha particles or protons in the process, but I have not heard of this happening.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about Hydrogen and Helium nuclei? You did say it is rare. Perhaps that's why you don't hear about it.

Summing over the fast fission products for 92-U-233, I get 114.5%. For U-235, I get 118.7%. As every fission produces at least two nuclei, I would expect the total sum to add up to roughly 200%. The list doesn't look complete. Another way to see that: It misses many ternary fission products.

Edit: A few isotopes have the same yields, e.g. 42-Mo-99 and 43-Tc-99 or 44-Ru-106 and 45-Rh-106. They are connected via beta decays (including some very long-living nuclides). If I remove these the sum of yields reduces to ~105%.

Last edited:

1. What is uranium fission?

Uranium fission is the process of splitting the nucleus of a uranium atom into two smaller atoms, typically with the use of a neutron. This process releases a large amount of energy in the form of heat.

2. How is uranium fission used to produce electricity?

In a nuclear power plant, the heat generated by uranium fission is used to produce steam, which then drives turbines to generate electricity. This process is known as nuclear fission power.

3. What is Europium?

Europium is a chemical element with the atomic number 63. It is a silvery-white metal that is often used in the production of fluorescent lights, computer screens, and television tubes.

4. How is Europium produced from uranium fission?

During the process of uranium fission, some of the uranium atoms can be converted into Europium. This is known as nuclear transmutation and is a common method for producing Europium for commercial use.

5. What are the potential risks of uranium fission to Europium?

The main risks associated with uranium fission are the production of nuclear waste and the potential for accidents or meltdowns at nuclear power plants. However, with proper safety measures in place, the risks can be minimized and the benefits of producing Europium through nuclear transmutation can be utilized.