Urban believes, True of False?

• Thread starter Chitose
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different urban beliefs and their validity. Some of these beliefs include the idea that storing batteries in the refrigerator or freezer can prolong their life, leaving coffee residue in a cup can improve the taste of the next cup, and drinking too much coffee can cause premature aging. The conversation also touches on the belief that men with a certain hair pattern are more macho. There is some scientific evidence to support these beliefs, but they are not completely proven.
Chitose
Hello, Chitose wonder chick here.

Every country in this world have it's own urban believe and I been curious about how mush true it is?

This is some of my country believe

-If your batteries run out, Just put it in refrigerator and the next day... Wolla! It can use again (around 1/5 - 1/4 power is returned)

- Once you finish your coffee, Don't wash the cup, let it dry... let it be... and next time your making another coffee in that cup, It's test better!?

- If you take too many coffee, your face will older than your age...

- those men who have two hair cycle (I don't know a specific word but on center of human hair are cycle like snail shell) on their head, their more Masher.

well, that's about it.
I wonder how much of it is true? can it proof by science or statistic?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure the battery thing can be tested. I know a friend of mine stores his batteries in the fridge.

Chitose said:
Wolla!
It's spelled "Voilà!"
Chitose said:
- Once you finish your coffee, Don't wash the cup, let it dry... let it be... and next time your making another coffee in that cup, It's test better!?
It's spelled "taste". How easy is it to test is that one ?

Chitose said:

Every country in this world have it's own urban believe and I been curious about how mush true it is?

Easy test for the coffee. Leave a little bit of coffee in the bottom of your cup and taste it the next morning. If it tastes good, then the residue in your cup is adding to the flavor of the next morning's cup of coffee. If it tasts kind of rancid and stale, then the residue in your coffee cup is probably adding a slight rancid, stale taste to your coffee.

Tastes vary very much and some people like having a slight rancid, stale taste to their coffee, so that urban myth has to be at least partially true.

-If your batteries run out, Just put it in refrigerator and the next day... Wolla! It can use again (around 1/5 - 1/4 power is returned)

My dad taught me that putting batteries in the oven would do the same thing. Neither is recommended by battery manufacturers, though. Additionally, when a battery is almost dead, it will still sometimes seemingly come back to life for a little while the next time you turn the device on even when you do nothing, so I don't really think the oven or refrigerator thing really has much effect.

He'd freeze unused batteries, however, believing the cold temperature would slow any chemical reaction in the battery, resulting in it still being "new" even after months of storage. That's not recommended, either.

On the other hand, putting hosiery in the freezer is supposed to reduce the chance of runs. I have no idea if this has any effect on runs, but slipping on panty hose fresh from the freezer surely would make coffee unnecessary, rendering the entire coffee residue question moot.

Last edited:
I've heard the battery thing even here. My grandmother used to freeze her batteries.

I suppose it might be possible to transfer thermal energy into chemical energy, but I don't know any of the details. Anybody have any insight into this?

Chitose said:

coffee is actually full of antioxidants. so, I'm doubtful. the only ways i can think that it might affect skin would be 1) an association with smoking. lots of people like to smoke with their coffee, and smoking is known to cause skin aging. 2) coffee can raise cortisol, so there is maybe some possibility it could affect connective tissue elasticity. so maybe some sagging, but actual aging...?

- those men who have two hair cycle (I don't know a specific word but on center of human hair are cycle like snail shell) on their head, their more Masher.

i don't know what you're asking. the spiral direction of hair at the crown? whether it is clockwise or counter-clockwise? and what is Masher, "macho" or manly ?

there is some evidence of effects, but note that homosexuality and "manliness" are not two sides of the same coin.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15689627

then, depending on your ethnicity, it might mean nothing at all.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19049888

then there is the left/right handedness aspect, which hints at more of a left/right brain effect going on
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14504234

Jack21222 said:
I've heard the battery thing even here. My grandmother used to freeze her batteries.

I suppose it might be possible to transfer thermal energy into chemical energy, but I don't know any of the details. Anybody have any insight into this?

just a guess, but i'd go with reducing internal resistance. someone in the EE forum probably has a more accurate reason.

Evo said:
I don't know how reliable this is.

http://www.greenbatteries.com/batterymyths.html#Freezer

i don't think she's asking about storage. but taking a dead battery and putting it in the freezer. then later, putting the cold battery back into your device and getting a little bit of extra life out of the battery.

Proton Soup said:
i don't think she's asking about storage. but taking a dead battery and putting it in the freezer. then later, putting the cold battery back into your device and getting a little bit of extra life out of the battery.
I was actually respobnding to a couple of the other posters, sorry, I should have made that clear.

Evo said:
I was actually respobnding to a couple of the other posters, sorry, I should have made that clear.

It's reliable enough for me. I'll remember that if I ever use NiMH batteries.

A great site where a huge number of urban legends are collected is www.snopes.com[/url] If I have free time then I love reading that site to read about strange urban legends... A great one is [url]http://www.snopes.com/medical/asylum/fbipizza.asp[/URL] and it's even true!

The story of the battery is covered in [url]http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/battery.asp[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Chitose said:

well, that's about it.
I wonder how much of it is true? can it proof by science or statistic?

Do you mean men that have curly hair? Like this:
[PLAIN]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9Zf_P9g6cuo/SPXwm_f4KEI/AAAAAAAAB8Y/unmMuR5DB8M/s400/boys-hairstyle6.jpg[/quote]

OK... men with curly hair are not more 'Matcho/Masher/Attractive', or rather, nothing genetic makes it so. How other people respond, I don't know, but it's nothing about the hair.

May I ask, what is your original language? Someone here may speak it, and we can clear some of these misunderstandings.

Coffee... if you use milk or cream, don't do this. If you drink it black, with sugar, as another said, some like the taste. It's not "better" or "worse'... it's different. I think this belief (urban legend/myth) comes from a truth about smoking tobacco in a pipe. You want to build a layer of carbon on the inside of the pipe, and I wonder if this was somehow applied to coffee.

I'd add, if you live in a country where coffee is expensive, or weak, then leaving a residue will add flavor. It isn't dangerous; the worst that can happen is the oils in the coffee become rancid (like old butter).

Coffee does not make you look old, but if you are not getting enough sleep and using a lot of caffeine, that lack of sleep will make you look older. I'd add, in many countries people drink coffee and smoke tobacco; tobacco DOES make you look older.

edit: Anata wa Nihonjin desu ka?

nismaratwork said:
edit: Anata wa Nihonjin desu ka?

That sentence looks much cooler like this: アなた わ ニほんじん です か?

Don't know why, but I just felt like saying that.

nismaratwork said:
Do you mean men that have curly hair? Like this:
boys-hairstyle6.jpg

I think OP is talking about swirl...

[URL]http://www.greenavenger.com/img/2004/07/06/first_month/hair.jpg[/URL]

:bugeye: ... "Masher" ...

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/Kitchen-Potato-Masher.jpg/175px-Kitchen-Potato-Masher.jpg[/URL]

EDIT:
Slang for womanizer??

Char. Limit said:

Don't know why, but I just felt like saying that.

:rofl:

Well sure, but I'm no good with Kanji, Hiragana, or Katakana. I think you're right though.

@DA Hmmm... good point. I think Masher must be... macho, or tougher, or maybe it's a "lady's man".

[segue]

日本人ですか

And for fun, try http://www.studyjapanese.org/games/kanachallenge/" . It helps to see the difference between Hiragana and Katakana, as you shouldn't mix alphabets between words :wink:.

[/segue]

Zryn said:
[segue]

日本人ですか

And for fun, try http://www.studyjapanese.org/games/kanachallenge/" . It helps to see the difference between Hiragana and Katakana, as you shouldn't mix alphabets between words :wink:.

[/segue]

That's why I accept my limitations, and use romanized characters. Hiragana, Katakana, and mostly Kanji gives me the brain pain. The language as spoken makes a lot of sense, but the writing... WOW.

Its funny that the OP, who seems to not speak english natively, actually knows the english slang term "Masher" while most everyone else here seems not to.

DevilsAvocado said:
Slang for womanizer??

That is the way that I have always heard it used.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Its funny that the OP, who seems to not speak english natively, actually knows the english slang term "Masher" while most everyone else here seems not to.

That is the way that I have always heard it used.

Odd right?... BUT...

... Most Japanese people learn English that is essentially useless and rapidly discarded. For people who have learned english, often you find the "british effect", much as with African, Indian, and Middle-Easterners.

It's a very interesting set of accents and idioms which emerge in my opinion, but yes, funny too.

TheStatutoryApe said:

Whö säys Ænglish is möy møther töngue? :bugeye:

(:biggrin:)

DevilsAvocado said:
Whö säys Ænglish is möy møther töngue? :bugeye:

You're different. :rofl:

Yöu äre zee special cäse, ja ja? :wink:

Charlie Sheen has "tiger blood, and Adonis DNA"... you have Møøse blood, and Æthling DNA!

:biggrin:

nismaratwork said:
Charlie Sheen has "tiger blood, and Adonis DNA"... you have Møøse blood, and Æthling DNA!

HAHA! :rofl: Howdie partner!

adora.jpg

DevilsAvocado said:
HAHA! :rofl: Howdie partner!

adora.jpg

Hmmm... I thought you'd be taller... [URL]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/winking/winking0047.gif[/URL]

nismaratwork said:
Hmmm... I thought you'd be taller... [PLAIN]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/winking/winking0047.gif[/QUOTE]

... or that is a VERY BIG horse ...? :uhh:

Since when this turn into language topic =w=
don't mix hiragana with katakana, katakana is most likely use on foreign words. (like...apple アップル)

いいえ、私 日本人じゃない

Chitose said:
Since when this turn into language topic =w=
don't mix hiragana with katakana, katakana is most likely use on foreign words. (like...apple アップル)

いいえ、私 日本人じゃない

Ahhh... well I did admit up-front that I was miserable with all forms of written Japanese language. I only brought it up in case you wanted some help with translation.

@DA: You still look VERY young... such a baby-face!

Hmmm... Giant man-baby?... Maybe you'd be better off small. :wink:

What are urban beliefs?

Urban beliefs are beliefs that are commonly held by people who live in urban areas or cities. They can range from cultural and societal beliefs to personal beliefs about life and the world.

Are urban beliefs true or false?

Urban beliefs can be either true or false, depending on the specific belief in question. Some urban beliefs may be based on facts and evidence, while others may be based on myths or misconceptions.

What are some common urban beliefs?

Common urban beliefs include ideas about city life being fast-paced and busy, the diversity and diversity of cultures in cities, and the opportunities for career and personal growth in urban areas.

Do urban beliefs differ from person to person?

Yes, urban beliefs can differ from person to person, as they are influenced by individual experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. What one person believes to be true about urban life may differ from another person's beliefs.

How do urban beliefs impact society?

Urban beliefs can impact society by shaping people's perceptions and behaviors, influencing cultural norms and values, and contributing to the overall culture of a city or urban area. They can also influence policies and decisions made by government and other institutions.