Revolutions problem y=-x^2+12x-35

• Thread starter danerape
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Revolutions
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice after receiving a low score on a calculus II midterm. They believe their errors were due to computational mistakes and are worried about their future in their major. Others reassure them that everyone makes mistakes and suggest being more careful with computations in the future. Ultimately, the speaker decides to stick with their major and continue practicing to improve their accuracy.
danerape
Urgent! Advice Needed

I am currently taking calculus II, and didn't do so hot on the midterm yesterday. I had to take the test on webassign(proctored). The instructor says partial credit will be given, but my webassign score was a 50%. I did not have a problem with the calculus involved, but the problems given were very computaionally intensive. For example::

I had a solid of revolutions problem y=-x^2+12x-35, so I made a mistake somewhere squaring that, I also had a partial fractions problem with a denominator of (x-1)^2(x^2+1), and somewhere in the 4 equation 4 variable system I made a mistake, and the list goes on.

I guess my question is, has anyone bombed a test solely due to computational errors. My mechanics in solving these problems were 100% correct, I guess I just had a bad day. I got an A in precalc and cal I, so this is my first bad expeiriance. I know some did pretty well on the test, now I am just wondering if I should rethink my major?

Physics news on Phys.org

You're panicking for no reason. If you like the technology involved with electrical engineering, and you're comfortable with EE courses than stay.

If not, change.

If your methods and mechanics were 100% correct, then there's nothing to worry about. Computational errors are silly, they shouldn't be the reason for you to change your major :smile:

Just be more careful with the computations next time :smile:

danerape said:
I am currently taking calculus II, and didn't do so hot on the midterm yesterday. I had to take the test on webassign(proctored). The instructor says partial credit will be given, but my webassign score was a 50%. I did not have a problem with the calculus involved, but the problems given were very computaionally intensive. For example::

I had a solid of revolutions problem y=-x^2+12x-35, so I made a mistake somewhere squaring that, I also had a partial fractions problem with a denominator of (x-1)^2(x^2+1), and somewhere in the 4 equation 4 variable system I made a mistake, and the list goes on.

I guess my question is, has anyone bombed a test solely due to computational errors. My mechanics in solving these problems were 100% correct, I guess I just had a bad day. I got an A in precalc and cal I, so this is my first bad expeiriance. I know some did pretty well on the test, now I am just wondering if I should rethink my major?

Everyone has bad tests. Still, you must have made a lot of computational errors to receive a 50%. Were you rushing through the problems? If so, why?

I usually attribute computational errors to not being careful and organized. In this sense, I don't think your question about whether you should change your major follows from the the issues you're having. Choosing another major would only be a reasonable solution if you no longer have any interest in electrical engineering.

Next time just make sure to double check everything as you do the problem. I personally don't like to double check after I've finished the test, I found it much easier to force myself to double-check while I'm doing the problem.

If you like what you are studying, you should stick with it. But as you continue taking exams in engineering courses there will probably be many opportunities for computational errors. I might suggest that, whenever you are reading your textbooks or lecture notes, you work through all the steps of the math yourself as a way to continuously practice. You will probably become faster and more accurate.

Ended up with a 96% after partial credit. Maybe I should relax. Thanks!

WEBASSIGN SUCKS, does not give partial credit whatsoever

1. What does the equation y=-x^2+12x-35 represent?

The equation y=-x^2+12x-35 represents a quadratic function in standard form. The graph of this function is a parabola that opens downwards and has a maximum point at (6, 1).

2. How do I solve for the x-intercepts of the function y=-x^2+12x-35?

To find the x-intercepts, set y=0 and solve for x. This can be done by factoring the equation or by using the quadratic formula. For y=-x^2+12x-35, the x-intercepts are (5, 0) and (7, 0).

3. What is the vertex of the parabola represented by y=-x^2+12x-35?

The vertex of a parabola is the point where the parabola reaches its maximum or minimum value. In the case of y=-x^2+12x-35, the vertex is located at (6, 1).

4. How can I determine the maximum or minimum value of the function y=-x^2+12x-35?

The maximum or minimum value of a quadratic function can be found by using the formula h=-b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the x^2 and x terms, respectively. For y=-x^2+12x-35, the maximum value is 1, which occurs at x=6.

5. How can I use the graph of the function y=-x^2+12x-35 to solve real-world problems?

The graph of a quadratic function can be used to solve real-world problems involving maximum or minimum values, such as finding the maximum profit or minimum cost. In the case of y=-x^2+12x-35, the maximum value of 1 can represent the maximum profit or minimum cost, and the x-value of 6 can represent the corresponding quantity that results in this maximum or minimum value.