1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent Aero question help

1. May 30, 2012 #1
    Urgent Aero question help!!

I can't seem to do this question without the static pressure given.
    Can someone show me the workings and how it is done?

I can't seem to do this question without the static pressure given. Can someone show me the workings and how it is done? Question >> hxxp://postimage.org/image/cp3w7a7jl/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2012 #2
    Re: Urgent Aero question help!!

Rules is rules, you've got to show your attempt. What have you tried. List your knowns, your equations, etc. Then we can help fill in the missing pieces.

4. May 30, 2012 #3

formula i am thinking of using is True air speed, V^2= (2a^2)/(1.4-1) x [(total pressure/ static pressure)^((1.1-1)/1.4) -1]

but since only total pressure of 84.2 KPa is given, i cannot get the true air speed without static pressure. and other formulas for equivalent airspeed and calibrated airspeed also needs static pressure to calculate

5. May 30, 2012 #4

You know the pressure altitude, though, no? That number comes from an existing equation.

6. May 30, 2012 #5

erm, is there a formula that links the pressure altitude to static pressure? (sorry if i sound dumb >_<)

7. May 30, 2012 #6

Check this link out

(Oops, looks like your equation is the same anyway, either way, it's a good link).

As far as the static pressure goes, here's a good estimate: Engineering Toolbox

8. May 30, 2012 #7

will do, thanks alot for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook