Atwood Machine: Energy & Work Homework Soln

In summary, the problem involves an Atwood machine with two masses connected by a string passing over a pulley. The goal is to calculate the speed of the hanging mass after it has fallen a certain distance. The solution involves using energy conservation, considering the pulley disk, and finding the tension force by calculating the torques and sum of forces. Alternatively, energy conservation can be used to simplify the problem.
kchurchi

Homework Statement

An atwood machince has a m1 = 4.92-kg block resting on a frictionless horizontal ledge. This block is attached to a string that passes over a pulley, and the other end of the string is attached to a hanging m2 = 2.46-kg block.

The pulley is a uniform disk of radius 8.06 cm and mass 0.615 kg. Calculate the speed of the m2 = 2.46-kg block after it is released from rest and falls a distance of 2.67 m.

Homework Equations

Work = ∫F dot ds

ΔE = ΔKE(translation) = 1/2*m2*vf^2 - 1/2*m2*vi^2

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I assumed only the weight force was doing work on mass 2 but I got the wrong answer. Then I thought perhaps tension was also doing work on mass 2. In order to find the tension force, I need to find the torques acting on the pulley and the sum of the forces acting on mass 1. I can do all of this, however, I would like to know if there is an easier, less complex way to do this problem.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use energy conservation, so you don't have to care about the details of the acceleration. Don't forget the pulley disk.

Thanks mfb!

1. What is an Atwood Machine?

An Atwood Machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of two masses connected by a string or rope that passes over a frictionless pulley. It is commonly used to demonstrate concepts of energy and work in physics.

2. How does an Atwood Machine work?

The Atwood Machine works by utilizing the difference in weight between the two masses, which creates a net force on the system. As one mass moves downwards, the other moves upwards, and this motion continues until the two masses reach equilibrium.

3. What is the equation for calculating the acceleration of an Atwood Machine?

The equation for the acceleration of an Atwood Machine is a = (m1-m2)g / (m1+m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the Atwood Machine demonstrate the concept of work?

The Atwood Machine demonstrates the concept of work by showing that the work done by the system is equal to the change in potential energy. As the masses move, they gain or lose potential energy, and this change is equal to the work done by the system.

5. Can an Atwood Machine be used to calculate the efficiency of a system?

Yes, an Atwood Machine can be used to calculate the efficiency of a system by comparing the work output (the change in potential energy) to the work input (the force applied to one of the masses). The efficiency is then calculated by dividing the work output by the work input and multiplying by 100%.