1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent: Atwood Machine Energy and Work

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An atwood machince has a m1 = 4.92-kg block resting on a frictionless horizontal ledge. This block is attached to a string that passes over a pulley, and the other end of the string is attached to a hanging m2 = 2.46-kg block.

The pulley is a uniform disk of radius 8.06 cm and mass 0.615 kg. Calculate the speed of the m2 = 2.46-kg block after it is released from rest and falls a distance of 2.67 m.

2. Relevant equations

Work = ∫F dot ds

ΔE = ΔKE(translation) = 1/2*m2*vf^2 - 1/2*m2*vi^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    At first I assumed only the weight force was doing work on mass 2 but I got the wrong answer. Then I thought perhaps tension was also doing work on mass 2. In order to find the tension force, I need to find the torques acting on the pulley and the sum of the forces acting on mass 1. I can do all of this, however, I would like to know if there is an easier, less complex way to do this problem.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can use energy conservation, so you don't have to care about the details of the acceleration. Don't forget the pulley disk.

4. Oct 21, 2012 #3
    Thanks mfb!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook