Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent: Can I charge my cell phone with a battery?

1. Mar 14, 2014 #1
    Model NO: LG-VX11000
    Battery model: LGLP-AHLM

Battery states Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery 3.7V 950mA

I do not have my charger.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You should use a charger matched to your phone battery to avoid damage. What resources do you have available to you? Where are you ? (at work, home, travelling, etc.? -- can you ask others around you to borrow a charger?)

4. Mar 14, 2014 #3
    Thank god Verizon allows you to sms over the web! The dilemma is resolved.

Is there a reason why some wall warts have an AC output? This was on a rechargeable dust buster. I understand when you recharge a battery, you're not really putting electricity back in, rather returning the battery to its original state. But in order to do that, wouldn't DC be mandatory?

Thanks

5. Mar 14, 2014 #4

meBigGuy

Gold Member

No, you cannot.

The internal charger requirements depend on the cell phone. Most need 5V, but requirements vary with regard to getting the phone to accept the charger (iphone, samsung, etc have different requirement for what happens on the data lines).

I think many will charge if you connect to a PC USB connector. (many have a micro-usb connector). I don't think you will damage the computer or the phone if you try that, but no guarantees.

Again, depends on the phone.

But you cannot charge from an ordinary external battery.

6. Mar 14, 2014 #5

meBigGuy

Gold Member

The input voltage to a device to charge its battery or operate it can be AC or DC depending on the charger design within the device itself. Battery charging is very complex, so there is generally a pretty sophisicated supply and control system to support it.

AC wall warts are cheaper and more robust. Again, depends on the device.

7. Mar 14, 2014 #6
    Thank you meBigGuy.

I assumed a 9V 950mA rechargeable battery could be charged with a 9v 950mA DC battery.

8. Mar 15, 2014 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Without additional circuitry at best you could charge it in half.

There are numerous types of emergency power banks, emergency mobile chargers and so on - just google them. For example "GP Instant Power", but there are many others.

9. Mar 15, 2014 #8

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Best thing you could wish for if you connect a dead lithium battery to a charged one is that it only catches on fire. Don't mess with lithium batteries.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook