1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent Center of mass and relevant stuffs

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    Urgent !!! Center of mass and relevant stuffs

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A vertical spring of constant k is attached at the bottom to a platform of mass mp, and at the top to a massless cup. The platform rests on a scale. A ball of mass mb is placed in the cup. What is the reading on the sacle when (a) the spring is compressed an amount d= mb*g/k (b) the ball comes to rest momentarily with the spring compressed ? (c) the ball again comes to rest in its original position ??

2. Relevant equations

F=Ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no clue how to solve this one. can someone help me ??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2
    Re: Urgent !!! Center of mass and relevant stuffs

Still have not figured it out yet, anyone ??

4. Dec 16, 2008 #3

I'm stumbling through the same problem myself. This is what I've managed to come up with to (a), I haven't solved (b) or (c) yet. I'm new to this site (obviously) and I think that underscores are used to indicate subscript and carets are used to indicate superscript, yes? That's what I've used here, in any case.

F_n = Normal force
    d = distance spring is compressed
    k = force constant
    a_cm = acceleration of the center of mass

F_n - m_b*g - m_p*g = (m_b + m_p)a_cm
    F_n = g(m_b + m_p) + (m_b + m_p)a_cm

Then I tried to solve for a_cm:

(m_b + m_p)a_cm = m_b*a_b + m_p*a_p
    I think a_p is zero, so,
    a_cm = a_b*m_b/(m_b + m_p)

Subbing that back in I get

F_n = g(m_b + m_p) + a_b*m_b

I think that a_b*m_b = dk, and if so, then a_b*m_b = (m_b*g/k)*k = m_b*g so the final answer would be

F_n = g(m_b + m_p) + a_b*m_b

I know you're not supposed to just solve the OP's answer for them, but I have no idea if I've gotten this right, and I don't know how to do (b) and (c) (although I think that (c) is just F_n = g(m_b + m_p) but I'm not sure and it seems too easy). I'm not solving it for them intentionally; I'm just hijacking the thread to ask for help on the same question, and since the OP didn't show any work, I thought perhaps it'd be helpful if I showed mine.

5. Dec 16, 2008 #4

yeah, I am new to this chapter too. I kinda get your idea on part a but I think a_b is not given so you cannot use that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?