1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent: Confusing matrix operator equation

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm new to matrix mechanics in quantum mechanics and I admit that linear algebra is the weakest part of my maths toolkit but I have an operator to convert to matrix form. I'm about 85% sure I've done it right, however I can't solve for the eigenvectors. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious and was wondering if someone could help me find it.

The operator is a Hamiltonian of the form.

[tex] H=c \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 \end{array} \right] [/tex]

If I solve for the eigenvalues I get [itex] \lambda = \pm c [/itex]

Which seems right. However, if I try to solves for the eigenvectors using [itex] H'=(H-\lambda I) [/itex] and [itex]H'x = 0 [/itex] for the eigenvalue +c, I get a set of equations that don't make sense to me.

[tex]H'=c \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1-1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1-1 \end{array} \right]= \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & -2 \end{array} \right] [/tex]

Using x=(x,y), and if I'm reading this right, this would give a set of equations where y=0 but also y=x. This would imply the answer is a null vector which makes no sense.

Can anyone see where I've gone wrong/what I'm missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2
    Nevermind , apparently I had forgotten how to take a determinant.

Thanks anyway.

4. Sep 28, 2011 #3
    Stuck again because now I need to solve this equations:

[tex] (1-\sqrt{2})x+y = 0 ; x+(-1-\sqrt{2})y = 0 [/tex]

I've been pounding my head against it buit can't seem to find the way, standard Gaussian techniques seem to be leading to a mess.

5. Sep 28, 2011 #4
    Just set x or y to one, then you get the value of the other, (1, something) or (something, 1)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook