1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent Dynamics Problem Help Needed.

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    The Problem.
    12-101 Hibbler dynamics 13th edition.

It is observed that the skier leaves the ramp A at an angle θA=15 degrees with the horizontal. if he strikes the ground at B, deterime his initial speed VA and the speed at which he strikes the ground (at B).

http://s3.amazonaws.com/answer-board-image/d324abb1-8b50-49a3-a0dd-e2375f1be1a4.jpeg (Ignore the values not in the diagram itself)

My issue:
    I understand how to get VA but, I have no idea how to the the speed at which he strikes the ground at B. Any help would be very appreciated.

I do not even know where to start to find VB.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: How far below A is B?

4. Aug 30, 2012 #3
    64m. I just dont know how to set up and re work the equations to solve for VB. I understand for VA its

80=VA(cos15)t

-64=VA(sin15)t-(1/2)(9.81)t^2

where I would sub in VA=80/cos15(t) to solve for t and then plug t back into the first equation.

5. Aug 30, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Since you know VA, you can use either equation to solve for t. (Use the first one, of course.)

How does Vy depend on time?

(There are several ways to get the answer; one way just uses the distance, but since you have the time why not use it.)

6. Aug 30, 2012 #5
    I know VA and t just not how to get VB. Doesnt Vy increase with time in this case as gravity acts downward?

7. Aug 30, 2012 #6

Doc Al

Right. What's the kinematic equation describing that relationship?

8. Aug 30, 2012 #7
    Vy=(Vo)y+at ?

9. Aug 30, 2012 #8

Doc Al

Sure.

10. Aug 30, 2012 #9
    But how does VB relate into that? Im guessing I need to find VBy and VBx and then do the

sqrt of (VBy)^2 + (VBx)^2

11. Aug 30, 2012 #10

Doc Al

Exactly. VBx should be trivial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook