How Do You Calculate Work Required to Move a Charge Near a Charged Cylinder?

In summary, the conversation is about how to calculate the amount of work required to move a charge in a cylinder with a uniform charge density. The specific question is how to calculate the work required to move a charge of 4*10^-12C from 0.1m to 0.07m, with the expected answer being 2.5X * 10^ something. The person asking for help is expressing their gratitude and urgency for assistance.
deedeedee
I have a question that I am hoping someone can help me with, and I would like to say thank you to everyone who looks at this and tries to help.

We have a cylinder with uniform charge density of 2*10^-6 C/m^3, with a radius of 0.05m. How do I figure out how much work is required to move a charge of 4*10^-12C from 0.1m to 0.07m (distances from the center of the cylinder).

The answer should be 2.5X * 10^ something (don't know exactly), but I can't figure out how to do this. Someone please help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
can someone please help? i am very screwed if i don't figure this out. thanks.

nobody knows?

What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is the potential for the charged object to do work on another charged object.

What is the formula for calculating electric potential energy?

The formula for calculating electric potential energy is U = qV, where U is the potential energy in joules (J), q is the charge in coulombs (C), and V is the electric potential in volts (V).

How does electric potential energy differ from electric potential?

Electric potential energy is a measure of the potential for work to be done on a charged object, while electric potential is a measure of the potential for a charged object to experience a force in an electric field.

What factors affect the electric potential energy of a charged object?

The electric potential energy of a charged object is affected by the amount of charge, the distance between the charged objects, and the strength of the electric field.

How is electric potential energy related to potential difference?

Electric potential energy is directly related to potential difference, as potential difference is the change in electric potential energy per unit charge. In other words, potential difference is the work done per unit charge in moving a charged object between two points in an electric field.