Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Urgent: Gravitational Force Problem?

1. Jan 24, 2005 #1
    Hey all, I am stuck on this problem.

A spaceship is ona straight line path between Earth and its mon. At what distance from Earth is the net gravitational force on the spaceship zero?

Well, when I try to use the Universal law of gravitation. F=G(m1)(m2)/r^2, I could find the distance if only I knew the mass of the spaceship, but it is not given. So, I tried to set 2 equations equal, one using the moon, and one using the earth, since the forces would cancel on the spaceship, making it 0. But when i do the computations, I get a negative under a root symbol. Is this the correct approach? Am i missing something here? THanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your second method is the correct one.Please post your calculations,as to figure out what u're doin wrong...

Daniel.

4. Jan 24, 2005 #3
    Ok, thanks dex, it's kind of lengthy, so since i know this is the correct approach, I'll try to do it more carefully and see what I get, thanks for the quick response.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook