1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent: Gravitational Force Problem?

1. Jan 24, 2005 #1
    Hey all, I am stuck on this problem.

A spaceship is ona straight line path between Earth and its mon. At what distance from Earth is the net gravitational force on the spaceship zero?

Well, when I try to use the Universal law of gravitation. F=G(m1)(m2)/r^2, I could find the distance if only I knew the mass of the spaceship, but it is not given. So, I tried to set 2 equations equal, one using the moon, and one using the earth, since the forces would cancel on the spaceship, making it 0. But when i do the computations, I get a negative under a root symbol. Is this the correct approach? Am i missing something here? THanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your second method is the correct one.Please post your calculations,as to figure out what u're doin wrong...

Daniel.

4. Jan 24, 2005 #3
    Ok, thanks dex, it's kind of lengthy, so since i know this is the correct approach, I'll try to do it more carefully and see what I get, thanks for the quick response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?