Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent Help : Einsteins derivation of e=mc^2

1. Jan 4, 2005 #1

This has probably been asked and answered a million times before so sorry but here goes. I urgently need help with a Maths University project about the A-Bomb which will include a chapter on Special Relativity and e=mc^2. I have read loads of books but they treat special relativity from a modern view point whereas I need to know how Einstein "figured out" e=mc^2 as it's a projcent on the impact and development of maths. Can anyone explaine how Einstein derived e=mc^2 or recommend and books/websites. Also, does anyone have any useful mathematical info on the development of the A-Bomb that might help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 5, 2005 #3

Where did E^2=m^2c^4+p^2^2 come from?

And why can't users view their own "warnings?"
  5. Jan 5, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, it's

[tex]E^2 = m_0^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2[/tex]

and it is the same as [tex]E = mc^2[/tex] which uses the "relativisitc mass" whereas the previous expression uses the "proper mass."
  6. Jan 8, 2005 #5

Ummm, which one is rest mass and which one is not? Rest mass is proper mass? Right?
  7. Jan 8, 2005 #6

Staff: Mentor

...and you can derive it by starting with the relativistic equations for energy and momentum:

[tex]E=\frac {m_0 c^2} { \sqrt {1 - \frac {v^2} {c^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]p=\frac {m_0 v} { \sqrt {1 - \frac {v^2} {c^2}}}[/tex]

and combining them so as to eliminate v.

Right. It's also known as "invariant mass".
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?