Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Urgent Help Needed- Finding the speed at the centre of mass? Please help me

1. Jan 4, 2010 #1
    Urgent Help Needed- Finding the speed at the centre of mass? Please help me :(

Hi, I was attempting to work through this question.
    Anyways, I was working from a graph, so the radius 2.5 cm, the two of them collided, it was an inelastic collision as the two objects did part ways, so how do I find the centre of gravity?
    I attempted to calculate it... but if someone could help me out? The masses were 500g and 500g.

So for x and y, would I do:
    Xcg = (500)(0.025) + (500)(1.5)(0.025) / 1000 ?
    Ycg = (500)(0.025) + (500)(0.025) / 100 ?

That's what I was thinking but I'm not entirely sure.

After this, I also have to find the momentum of the centre of gravity... so for that, I need the masses and the speed.

Even though the objects didn't stick together, would I add the masses when solving for the momentum at the centre of mass?

I was reading on the internet and it said: "The center of mass velocity of a system of particles is the average velocity of all the particles weighted relative to their mass"

but what I'm confused about is, do I add all the velocities... like the velocities of both the masses before and after the collision? So I'd have 4 velocities? But I'd only add the masses twice right? So it would be the velocities / 1000 g

Could someone really help me. Please.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2010 #2
    Re: Urgent Help Needed- Finding the speed at the centre of mass? Please help me :(

I'm sorry, this has accidentally been posted twice, I didn't notice it was going through because my internet was failing.

4. Jan 5, 2010 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Re: Urgent Help Needed- Finding the speed at the centre of mass? Please help me :(

What? You really need to explain better.

"Anyways, I was working from a graph, so the radius 2.5 cm, the two of them collided, it was an inelastic collision as the two objects did part ways, so how do I find the centre of gravity?"

Can we see the graph? What radius is this? How did the objects collide?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook