Urgent Help Needed: GW Detection Project

In summary, the individual is working on a project about GW detection and is looking for ways to prove the presence of GW at a project level without using a large apparatus like LIGO. They have built a Michelson Interferometer but are unsure how to show distortion in spacetime. They are considering using analogies with sound waves or computer simulations. Another suggestion is to use a fluid with a modulated parameter to mimic a change in distance in spacetime.
Dr.Brain
I am doing a project on GW Detection , pls tell me if there is anyway I can prove GW presence at project level (as in apparatus shouldn't be too buly or big as like LIGO or somehting ) ...I have built a Michelson Interferometer , but how do I prove there is a distortion in spacetime using tht??..pls pls help , if there is no way i can detect GW , can I do something by changin the path lengths of the light tht travels in the apparatus , using sound waves??...hw do i do it??...can I use tuning forks to show fringe shifts ??..what frequency forks i need then/??..pls help ..Otherwise i am goin nowhere with this ... :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
By GW, do you mean Gravity Wave?

You are, of course, aware that NO ONE has EVER detected a gravity wave?

gravitational wave I mean ... a wave of abt 4 km amplitude , makes 10^-12 m distortion in spacetime..I know its impossible to prove it in my project ..but can I use some sort of analogy , maybe use sound waves to show fringe shifts ??...I am nt interested in direct detection , my project is abt Apparatus which can possibly detect GW , LIGO is basically Interferometer , but ofcourse larger than my apparatus , what can I do/??...shud i use comp. simulations ??...to show how this thing happens , and manually move the mirrors in interferometer to show what can be possible..??

Dr.Brain said:
gravitational wave I mean ... a wave of abt 4 km amplitude , makes 10^-12 m distortion in spacetime..I know its impossible to prove it in my project ..but can I use some sort of analogy , maybe use sound waves to show fringe shifts ??...I am nt interested in direct detection , my project is abt Apparatus which can possibly detect GW , LIGO is basically Interferometer , but ofcourse larger than my apparatus , what can I do/??...shud i use comp. simulations ??...to show how this thing happens , and manually move the mirrors in interferometer to show what can be possible..??

:bugeye: It will be difficult to "bend spacetime" to mimick GW. What you would need is something that changes the distance over one arm of an interferrometer, without changing the actual positions of the mirrors and so on.

Mmm, maybe you could mimick that with the refractive index of some fluid! Maybe you could modulate a parameter (temperature, pressure...) of the fluid in one arm such as to obtain a similar effect as a genuine change of distance in spacetime. Mind you, I'm just chatting out of the back of my head here, didn't estimate anything.

1. What is the "Urgent Help Needed: GW Detection Project"?

The "Urgent Help Needed: GW Detection Project" is a research project aimed at detecting gravitational waves (GW) using advanced technology and data analysis techniques.

2. Why is the project considered urgent?

The project is considered urgent because GWs are very difficult to detect and have only been observed a few times. However, detecting more GW events can greatly advance our understanding of the universe and potentially lead to groundbreaking discoveries.

3. How will the project detect GWs?

The project will use a variety of methods, including interferometers, laser technology, and advanced algorithms, to detect and analyze subtle distortions in space-time caused by GWs.

4. Who is leading the project?

The project is being led by a team of scientists and researchers from various institutions and organizations, including universities and national laboratories.

5. How can I contribute to the project?

There are several ways to contribute to the project, such as volunteering for data analysis tasks, providing technical expertise, or making a donation to support the research efforts. You can also spread awareness about the project and its goals to help attract more resources and support.