Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent help needed: How do I get better at complex analysis

1. Apr 25, 2007 #1
    I'm currently doing a course in complex analysis and we're using
    fundamentals of complex analysis, by saff and snider.
    http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-...6965563?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177523072&sr=8-1

And Our problem sets are from the questions at the end of the chapters. I'm finding these questions incredibly hard even when 'armed' with schaums outlines on complex analysis with solved problems (by spiegal).
    http://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outli...-6965563?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1177523072&sr=8-1

Any help? How do you complex analysis guru's do it?
    Our course expects us to have completed the entire text book and have all the problems done. Its only week 6/14 and we've just finished chapter 5. Any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First you don't confuse "Complex Analysis" with "Number Theory"! I'm moving this to "Calculus and Analysis" where you may get more help.

4. Apr 25, 2007 #3
    Well, I'd recommend you to read other books as well. Maybe this particular book isn't working for you. Classic texts that worked for me are Basic Complex Analysis by Marsden & Hoffman, and Complex Variables and Applications by Churchill & Brown.

Also, you should gather with your classmates to do homework. Not to copy it. Togheter you'll be able to discuss and understand better the subject.

Finally, ask your teachers or in this forum all you don't understand, no matter how silly a question you may think it is, there are good people here with the interest to help, from (very eager) high school students to PhD's with great knowledge and understanding.

5. Apr 25, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"An Invitation to Complex Analysis" by Ralph Boas is also excellent and, in my opinion, easier to understand that most other texts.

6. Apr 25, 2007 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i recommend the text by
    henri cartan, or intro to complex variables by an author named frederick greenleaf.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  7. Apr 25, 2007 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

Introduction to complex variables (ISBN: 0721642608)
    Frederick P Greenleaf
    Bookseller: BetterWorld.com
    (Mishawaka, IN, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 6.25
    [Convert Currency]
    Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
    US$ 3.49
    [Rates & Speeds]
    Book Description: Saunders. Book Condition: Used - Good. Shows some signs of wear, and may have some markings on the inside. 100% Money Back Guarantee. Shipped to over one million happy customers! Support Literacy! Your purchase benefits Books For Africa!. Bookseller Inventory # DP-305-800

8. Apr 27, 2007 #7
    thanks guys - but in your opinion what do you think of saff and snider? Its becoming the primary text for the course for a number of places. I have churchill and spiegals schaums outline.

9. Apr 29, 2007 #8
    I can only offer my inexpert opinion. I had done some research because I wanted to get a heads-up on complex analysis before confronting it formally. I had found some rather excited recommendations for Visual Complex Analysis by Needham http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Comple...6058458?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177862769&sr=8-1 Some of the reviews are beyond glowing so maybe it's worth a shot. I haven't gotten around to getting a text yet so let me know what you ultimately decide.

10. May 15, 2007 #9
    thanks duke

11. May 17, 2007 #10

tpm

- Look at 'Wikipedia' its cheaper faster than reading a boring book made only to earn $$$$ 'math for the people by the people' is just more direct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?