1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent help needed! Sensor coursework

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1
    Hi everyone!

Im new here and i urgently need help from anyone whos done an OCR Physics sensor coursework. Im not the brightests bulb in the box in physics and i need to essemble a sensor (potentiometer, thermocouple, resistance bridge or a strain gauge) i was told by the teacher if i wasnt confident, to not do a photo sensor, LDR or a light sensor (i think there prety much the same thing!). But im desperate to get good marks and i dont know how! What sensor should i choose that isnt too simple and unimpressive that wont take a fool like me 2 hours to essemble? Could anyone draw me a sensor circuit diagram? What practical implication can the sensor that i have chosen have? should i compare two different sensors?
    Im realy in the dark, its all so confusing. If i ask the teachers they said they would mark me down. Please, please, please help me. I beg you all...:confused: :yuck: :surprised
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2005 #2
    Look son firstly, are you sure its an OCR coursework and not an Advancing Physics? Secondly i have done this coursework just today lol so here goes.

What i did was to use a series circuit with a power pack, fixed resistor, rotary potentiometer cting as the variable resistor, as shown below

| |
    | Ammeter
    | -Voltmeter-- - --Voltmeter-- |
    -------Fixed resistor------rotary potentiometer---

So with this circuit i could measure the current, voltage across fixed resistor, voltage across potentiometer. I took reading at every 10 degree angle of the rotary pentiometer. By creating this circuit, you have basically created a potential divider which is a circuit which has two resistors in series and one being a variable resistor andb changing the resistance on this it is possible to change the voltage. This is used when for example an appliance needs 6V and u have a 9V source for example. Now i myself am not sure if the above is completely right but i hope its been of some help, btw what city u in?

sorry cant make the circuit digram work lol.
  4. Nov 9, 2005 #3
    Cheers mate any help is good help at the momment, im in bristol in BGS, i dont know if you know it. Thankyou so much with your advice. In what part of the country do you live in?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?