Help Needed: OCR Physics Sensor Coursework

In summary, the student is looking for help on choosing a sensor for an OCR physics coursework. He is not the brightest bulb in the box and does not know which sensor to choose. He asks for help from people who have done this type of coursework before and gets help with a circuit diagram. He lives in Bristol, England.
thestudent
Hi everyone!

Im new here and i urgently need help from anyone whos done an OCR Physics sensor coursework. I am not the brightests bulb in the box in physics and i need to essemble a sensor (potentiometer, thermocouple, resistance bridge or a strain gauge) i was told by the teacher if i wasnt confident, to not do a photo sensor, LDR or a light sensor (i think there prety much the same thing!). But I am desperate to get good marks and i don't know how! What sensor should i choose that isn't too simple and unimpressive that won't take a fool like me 2 hours to essemble? Could anyone draw me a sensor circuit diagram? What practical implication can the sensor that i have chosen have? should i compare two different sensors?
Im really in the dark, its all so confusing. If i ask the teachers they said they would mark me down. Please, please, please help me. I beg you all...:confused: :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
Look son firstly, are you sure its an OCR coursework and not an Advancing Physics? Secondly i have done this coursework just today lol so here goes.

What i did was to use a series circuit with a power pack, fixed resistor, rotary potentiometer cting as the variable resistor, as shown below

----------------powerpack-----------------------
| |
| Ammeter
| -Voltmeter-- - --Voltmeter-- |
-------Fixed resistor------rotary potentiometer---

So with this circuit i could measure the current, voltage across fixed resistor, voltage across potentiometer. I took reading at every 10 degree angle of the rotary pentiometer. By creating this circuit, you have basically created a potential divider which is a circuit which has two resistors in series and one being a variable resistor andb changing the resistance on this it is possible to change the voltage. This is used when for example an appliance needs 6V and u have a 9V source for example. Now i myself am not sure if the above is completely right but i hope its been of some help, btw what city u in?

sorry can't make the circuit digram work lol.

Cheers mate any help is good help at the momment, I am in bristol in BGS, i don't know if you know it. Thankyou so much with your advice. In what part of the country do you live in?

1. What is OCR Physics Sensor Coursework?

OCR Physics Sensor Coursework is a practical assessment component of the OCR Physics A-level course. It involves designing and carrying out a scientific investigation using sensors and collecting data, analyzing the results, and drawing conclusions.

2. What sensors are typically used in OCR Physics Sensor Coursework?

The types of sensors used in OCR Physics Sensor Coursework can vary, but commonly used sensors include light sensors, temperature sensors, motion sensors, sound sensors, and force sensors.

3. What skills are assessed in OCR Physics Sensor Coursework?

OCR Physics Sensor Coursework assesses a range of skills including data collection and analysis, experimental design, scientific reasoning, and communication of results.

4. How is OCR Physics Sensor Coursework graded?

OCR Physics Sensor Coursework is graded based on the quality of the investigation, the analysis and evaluation of the data, and the overall presentation of the coursework. The coursework is marked by the teacher and moderated by OCR.

5. Can students work in groups for OCR Physics Sensor Coursework?

Yes, students can work in groups for OCR Physics Sensor Coursework. However, each student must contribute to the investigation and analysis and the final report must be written individually to ensure each student's understanding and skills are assessed.