1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent Help with error analysis required

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to work out if there is an elegant way to do a line of best fit(straight) through a set of points (3) while taking into consideration their error bars? Clearly I'm looking for a piece of software that can do this. Obviously excel, etc can do a standard straight line + equation and add errors later on but the fit will be different if errors are considered in the place on each point individually.

The reason i'm doing this is because I want to know the error in the gradient, taking account of the fact that each point has an error ( every point has different errors)

3. The attempt at a solution

The box method noted here will sort of work but it is quite tedious

But I'm looking for alternative ways of doing this. I only have 3 points of data as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2
    You only have three points of data???!!?!?!

There's your first problem.

In the past I have used an error box method, but not the same as the one on the linked website.

You have x error bars and y error bars - these can be made into error boxes around each data point.

The line of maximum gradient then goes from the bottom right hand corner of your smallest x value to the top left corner of your highest x value.

The line of minimum gradient goes from the top left of the smallest x error box to the bottom right of the highest x error box.

Make sure that these lines go through ALL error boxes - if they don't, you have to make some adjustments.

The points just mentioned and gradients are pretty easy to spit out of excel.

Good luck.
  4. Nov 6, 2007 #3

I can't take any more points

While i understand the box method, I was interested in a some sort of program being able to do the hard work for me lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?