Estimating Total Area: Help with Calculating Missing Space on a Flat Plat

In summary, someone said in a previous thread that it sounds like it, so I will post it here. The person is trying to estimate the amount of circles that can fit in a flat plat that has an unknown number of holes in it, but they are having trouble because they don't know how many holes there are and they can't just find the area of the circles because they don't know the diameter of the holes. I've been able to solve the problem for them, and it's basically just using the expression s/D = 4 to find the amount of circles that can fit in the flat plat. If you can post a picture of the layout of the design, we could give a better approximation.
higha level
This is not a HW but someone said in a previous thread that it sounds like it so I will post it here because it fits the format I guess.

Homework Statement

I have a flat plat that is x by y. It has an unknown number of holes in it but I do know the diameter of the holes is D.

I also know that s/D = 4 where s is the spacing between holes of diameter D. Using this how can I estimate the total area absent in the flat plat, i.e. the amount missing.

Homework Equations

s/D = 4

area rectangle = x*y

area circle = pi*r^2

D = 0.05"

x = 4

y = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been over thinking this but I can maybe estimate the amount of circles of diameter D can possible fit in there and leave it at that but is there a mathematical way to do this as oppose to me just drawing it out and guessing the amount of holes.

Physics news on Phys.org
find s find the total area of x and y d=.05" d/2 = radius of the wholes and find the area of one and divide the area of x and y by the area of the holes and find the equation this is basic math with a twist to it why did u need help?

I don't see where you used s.

Also, I do not know how many holes there are so I can't just find the equation. If I knew the amount of holes and therefore cannot calculate the area of holes.

The area of holes is what I am trying to estimate. I'm thinking I have to use the expression s/D = 4.

It might be something simple but I miss simple things. Sorry if it offends you.

Hi higha level

Yes, you have to use the expression s/D = 4 to find s. Actually, you can determine the number of holes that contained in the plat.

Let's consider the x-side. Basically, you have x, D, and s. Just think a simple one. If D = 1, then s = 4, so if x = 3, you can only have 1 circle on x-side. Now do it regarding the data from the question. :smile:

That's what I was saying I did.

D = 0.05" so I got a s= 0.2".

x = 4 inch so therefore there probably can only be about 15 circles along x. And subsequently 11 in the y=3. This gives an estimate of 165 circles and I can calculate the missing area, etc. I previously did this already and moved forward. The question wasn't a homework problem but someone said it sounded like it.

My question was is there a simple way to calculated it with an equation using s/D to find that missing area without finding the amount of holes there are? Still coming up with a relatively close answer?

Sorry if I didn't ask correctly before.

I don't think there's a way to find the missing area without finding the number of circles...

Just for clarification, is s the distance between the outsides of the circles or the centres of the circles?
Also, I am assuming here that the circles are formed in a pattern such that the first and second rows are in a straight line parallel to each other, except the circles in the second row are not vertically beneath the circles in the first row. As such:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3927/circleareaapprox.png

I was surprised to find that the diameter of each circle isn't needed to find the answer, all you need is x and y.

I'll give the answer now, and if you're interested in the maths behind it, just ask. And I haven't tested the result myself so be weary. Use at own risk :wink:

The area, A, of all the circles combined by using the layout I showed above is given by [tex]A\approx \frac{\pi}{25\sqrt{3}}xy[/tex]
The constant would be more appropriately approximated: therefore [tex]A\approx 0.073 xy[/tex]

If you can post a picture of what the layout of the design is, we could give a better approximation.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of estimating total area?

The purpose of estimating total area is to determine the size or extent of a particular space or object. This can be useful for various applications such as construction, land development, and environmental studies.

2. How is total area estimated?

Total area is estimated by measuring the length and width of a space or object and multiplying them together. In cases where the space or object has irregular shapes, more complex methods such as dividing it into smaller regular shapes or using advanced mathematical equations may be used.

3. What are the units of measurement used for estimating total area?

The units of measurement used for estimating total area can vary depending on the system being used. In the metric system, the most common unit is square meters (m²), while in the imperial system, square feet (ft²) is often used. Other units such as acres, hectares, and square yards may also be used in certain contexts.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of total area estimates?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of total area estimates include human error in measurements, irregular shapes, and changes in terrain or elevation. It is important to use precise measurement tools and techniques and to take into account any variations in the space or object being measured.

5. Why is it important to accurately estimate total area?

Accurately estimating total area is important for several reasons. It allows for better planning and decision making in various fields such as construction, real estate, and environmental studies. It also ensures that resources are used efficiently and can help prevent costly mistakes or errors in projects.