1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent help

1. Nov 16, 2004 #1
    Hi, got an exam tomorrow for particle physics and need a question answered concerning helicity.

How would it be possible to determine if a photon had a non-zero rest mass, based on measured helicity values?

Thanks
    Ray

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2004 #2
    Well, restmass (which is always referred to as just mass, so don't bother to make the distinction :wink: ) mixes up the two different possible chiralities. This is a result of the famous "tau-theta-puzzle" in QFT. To make a long story short : in QFT all elementary particles are massless because the two chiralities each correspond to a different kind of fundamental "particle-property". I mean, in QFT particles are classified based upon their chirality because a left handed chiral particle does not behave in the same way as a right hand chiral particle. So mass has to be zero (before the spontaneous breakdown of symmetry) because otherwise one particle possesses the TWO chiralities at once (because of the mass-term in the Lagrangian) and thus it is NOT fundamental. So basically photons are always massless because they do not interact with the Higgs-field. They contain a distinct chirality-value and thus not different values for ONE photon. Just look at the V-A-current in the elektroweak-theory : only left handed fermions (or right handed anti-fermions) are involved in weak charged currents.

regards
    marlon

4. Nov 16, 2004 #3
    OK, i understand the your point, but im only in second year undergraduate physics at university so we havent covered a lot of QFT. Basically due to parity violation for the Weak Interaction, participating fermions are emitted and absorbed predominantly in negative helicity states (and positive for anti-fermions), the probability a fermion's in a negative helicity state can be found by

P=0.5(1+v/c) where v is the particle's speed
    and for a fermion in a positive helicity
    P=0.5(1-v/c)

So from here i see that a massless particle has zero probability of being in a positive helicity. I am just wondering if this same argument can be used to deduce a photon's helicity.
    Thanks
    Ray

5. Nov 16, 2004 #4
    You are correct...it is gonna be something like that...

marlon

6. Nov 16, 2004 #5
    Thanks for that, feeling a bit relieved for tomorrow's exam now!

Regards
    Ray

7. Nov 16, 2004 #6
    good luck man...

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?