1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent helppp Nth term and sum

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1
    Ok i have a few here that i have no idea what to do
    b]1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

Find the nth term in the series
    1/2, 1/3, 2/9, 4/27, 8/81, 16/243

also

[tex]\Sigma[/tex] (-1)^n-1/ 5n+1
    find the sum
    Urgent help neededdd ahha.. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2008 #2
    For the first: Try to express the terms as a product of powers of 2 and 3. Biggest hint: 1/2=2^(-1)*3^0. For the second, could you clarify the sum?

4. Apr 9, 2008 #3
    So the 1/2 is just clarifying an alternating series? I am completely lost on that problem. for the second i dunno what you mean either haha... all i know right now is it is an alternating problem... I have been trying to do these for like 3 hours to no success haha..

edit---
    Well thanks for the first part i figured out the nth term. Im just super slow haha... The second problem however the only info i have oin it is its starts at n=1 the the (-1)^n-1/5n+1 then it asks me to find the sum im pretty sure that all i have

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  5. Apr 9, 2008 #4
    Like I said, clarify the sum. Use parentheses and such because I can't make any sense out of what you wrote.

6. Apr 9, 2008 #5
    Re:

The sequence looks like 2^(n-1) * 3^n starting from 0

7. Apr 9, 2008 #6
    ok starting at n=1 ((-1)^n-1)/(5n+1) so as far as i got is the (-1)^n-1 is pulled out as alternating leaving 1/(5n+1) and they want the sum of that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?