No 'URGENT!' or 'ASAP!' in Homework Help Threads

• Thread starter Ben Niehoff
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of using urgent or ASAP in thread titles in the Homework Help section. The suggestion is made to have a warning against it, along with an explanation that volunteers help in their free time and making demands on their time is rude. However, some believe that this rule would be abused and others advise simply ignoring these threads. It is also suggested to choose which threads to help with and to not deliberately mislead anyone.
Ben Niehoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Can there be some sort of big, bold warning in the Homework Help section forbidding the use of "URGENT!" or "ASAP!" in any thread title? There is probably already something in the homework help guidelines, but nobody seems to read those anyway.

Perhaps also a brief explanation would be in order, that we who help them on their homework are here during our free time, for no pay, and do so only because we are nice and sometimes enjoy it. To make any demands on the time frame in which one is helped is especially rude (and I know that I have occasionally countered with rude, unhelpful responses...).

Physics news on Phys.org
Thought about it, but I think it would be abused. Why wouldn't everyone want to get the quickest answer possible even if it wasn't truly urgent.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Thought about it, but I think it would be abused. Why wouldn't everyone want to get the quickest answer possible even if it wasn't truly urgent.

I think you read it how I did to start with, Greg. The OP is suggesting a phrase that asks members not to write that their thread is homework, as opposed to bold letters saying "urgent".

I just ignore them when they post URGENT for homework help. I get to it in the same order as I would any other post (or maybe just a tad more slowly :rolleyes:). If it REALLY bugs you, you don't have to answer those at all. Pick another thread where someone has been patiently waiting a while with no responses, and give them some help.

It doesn't particularly bug me and I don't think deliberately misleading students is a good idea. Since it is a forum where helpers are volunteers you can pick and choose which threads you want to help with. I'd suggest just ignoring them.

I didn't suggest deliberately misleading anyone. I think people were confused by my opening post.

I generally do ignore those threads, yes. I just thought a general announcement to say that such threads are likely to be ignored would be helpful.

1. What is the rationale behind the rule against using "URGENT!" or "ASAP!" in homework help threads?

The rule against using "URGENT!" or "ASAP!" in homework help threads is in place to promote a respectful and organized community. Using these phrases implies that your question is more important or urgent than others, which can be seen as disrespectful to other members seeking help. It also creates unnecessary pressure on volunteers who are already generously donating their time to help students.

2. Can I still receive help quickly if I don't use "URGENT!" or "ASAP!" in my thread title?

Yes, you can still receive help quickly even without using "URGENT!" or "ASAP!" in your thread title. Our community of volunteers is dedicated to providing timely and accurate assistance to all students, regardless of the urgency of their question. By following the proper posting guidelines and providing clear and specific information, you can increase your chances of getting a quick response.

3. What should I do if my question is truly urgent and I need help immediately?

If your question is truly urgent and you need help immediately, we recommend seeking assistance from your teacher, tutor, or a professional in the subject area. Our community is made up of volunteers who may not always be available to respond right away. Additionally, posting urgent requests can create a sense of noise and chaos in the community and may decrease the likelihood of receiving a helpful response.

4. Is it okay to use alternative phrases like "Please help!" or "Need help ASAP!" instead of "URGENT!" or "ASAP!"?

No, it is not okay to use alternative phrases like "Please help!" or "Need help ASAP!" in your thread title. These phrases still convey a sense of urgency and can be seen as disrespectful to other members. It is best to avoid any language that suggests your question is more important than others.

5. What are some alternative ways to make my question stand out without using "URGENT!" or "ASAP!"?

Instead of using "URGENT!" or "ASAP!" in your thread title, you can make your question stand out by providing a clear and specific title that accurately reflects the content of your question. You can also use tags or keywords to make your question more visible to potential helpers. Additionally, providing all necessary information and being polite and appreciative in your request can also make your question stand out in a positive way.