1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent How to find the point where Maximum Curvature occurs on graph?

1. Apr 10, 2014 #1
    Urgent!!How to find the point where Maximum Curvature occurs on graph?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The graph(2D) is plotted from experimental data, not from a given equation and within certain limit. I want to know the x&y coordinate where the maximum curvature occur via software means, not manually. FYI, for those with civil&geotechnical engineering background, the graph i am plotting is about consolidation topic of soil mechanics subject, which is the void ratio vs effective stress curve. I want to get the preconsolidation value from the graph plotted.

p.s. the attached file is rough idea of what i mean.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

From the tone of this, I suspect that you are to determine the point of maximum curvature by looking at the graph and deciding where it appears to "curve" most!

4. Apr 10, 2014 #3
    yes, do u know any software that can find the point?

5. Apr 10, 2014 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

6. Apr 10, 2014 #5
    lol,no offense i aint that advanced to get the maximum curvature by hand calculation, lol, that's why i need a software, if not, imma get the point via naked point instead

7. Apr 10, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you mean "naked eye", not "naked point". Anyway, that is what you need to do. Also: please avoid 'text-speak' in this Forum; take the trouble to say 'I' instead of 'i' and 'you' instead of 'u', etc.

8. Apr 10, 2014 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Addressed in a warning to the OP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted