1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent HW help

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    Urgent HW help!!

In this problem you will calculate the inductance of an inductor from a current measurement taken at a particular time. Consider the L-R circuit shown in the figure. Initially, the switch connects a resistor of resistance R and an inductor to a battery, and a current I_0 flows through the circuit. At time t=0, the switch is thrown open, removing the battery from the circuit. Suppose you measure that the current decays to I_1 at time t_1.

PART A
    Determine the time constant tau of the circuit.
    Express your answer in terms of t_1, I_1, and I_0. Recall that natural logarithms are entered as ln(x).

PART B
    What is the inductance L of the inductor?
    Express your answer in terms of R, I_0, I_1, and t_1.

Please help!
    I know tau=L/R but i dont know how all those other variables come into play and since I dont know what L equals either, so im not sure what to substitute into the equation to figure it out
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?