1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent: Hybridisation

1. Apr 27, 2009 #1
    The problem is as follows:

Decide if the following pairs of orbitals overlap to form a σ bond, π bond, or no bond at
    all. Explain your reasoning in each case, including a sketch of the orbitals. Assume the
    bond lies along the z-axis.

(a) 2pz and 2pz
    (b) 2py and 2px
    (c) sp3 and 2pz
    (d) 2py and 2py

And here are what I think the solutions are:

(a) 2pz and 2pz will form a σ bond as they are on the same axis and will over lap end-on-end

(b) 2py and 2px will form a π bond as they will over lap side by side

(c) sp3 and 2pz will not form a bond as the next hybridisation is sp3d orbital which contains an electron from a d orbital

(d) 2py and 2py will form a σ bond as they are on the same axis and will over lap end-on-end

If these are wrong could, could you please hint to why, and if I have managed to get something from the textbook (i.e., they are right) could you please help with expanding on the ideas.

Many thanks for your time and replies
    pavadrin

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2009 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember the question stated...
    It might help to draw a picture of these two orbitals approaching each other along the z axis and then determine what type of interaction you might expect.

4. May 2, 2009 #3
    thank you, i have now solved the problem as i didn't quite understand what the problem was asking
    and i realised i have posted this in wrong section of the forum, sorry

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook