1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent I really need help please!

1. Oct 3, 2004 #1
    Urgent!! I really need help please!

Sorry for posting this question again. Lemme try to rephrase my question if it helps :frown: . Please help me get started on this question. I am really stuck and time is running out!! :cry: I don't want the answer, I just need some pointers to get me going and headed in the right direction.

A particle moves in an inverse cubic, central, conservative force field. The force is
    F = -Amr^-3,

where A = some constant,
    m = mass of particle (pt. mass)
    r = distance

I know that the angular momentum L (its 3 components) are conserved under a central force. The total energy is also conserved since the force is conservative.

L = m r^2 θ'
    E = (1/2) m (r')^2 + (1/2) m r^2 θ'^2 + V(R)
    The 2 equations above are written in polar coordinate form.

Is V(R) = - / F? (/ = integral...sorry) :frown:

How should I go about in describing the possible orbits of a particle moving under the influence of such a force? I have to consider the following cases: E = 0, E < 0, and E > 0, for non-zero angular momentum cases.

I need some desperate guidelines to get me started. Please give some advices. Thanks in advance! :redface:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2004 #2
    What is V(R)? If you need to display integrals or other math. symbols, use LaTex.

4. Oct 3, 2004 #3
    V(R) is the potential as a function of R.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?