Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent: Laser drilled hole measurement

1. Dec 30, 2011 #1
    I have laser drilled hole thin ceramic specimens and I am required to measure the diameter of the holes. Suggest me some methods.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2011 #2
    Lenox Laser does this kind of work. You may wish to have them perform an analysis using their metrology equipment. Otherwise, some scopes with precision stages will tell you down to about +/- 5 millionths of an inch.

4. Dec 30, 2011 #3

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

what diameter hole and to what accuracy do you wish to measure?
    i have been selling Metrology Instruments since 1980 and can provide some small input to your requirement

5. Dec 30, 2011 #4
    shine a light through it, measure the radius of its shadow, and correct for the distance?

6. Dec 30, 2011 #5
    "what diameter hole and to what accuracy do you wish to measure?
    i have been selling Metrology Instruments since 1980 and can provide some small input to your requirement
    "

its approximately 2mm. I am checking for the repeatability of the experiment. But the shape is irregular.

7. Dec 30, 2011 #6
    "Lenox Laser does this kind of work. You may wish to have them perform an analysis using their metrology equipment. Otherwise, some scopes with precision stages will tell you down to about +/- 5 millionths of an inch."

Can I get some elaboration on this ?

8. Dec 31, 2011 #7

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

if the diameter is not round then a diametric measurement is not easy.

there are four most common methods to calculate a diameter.

Maximum Inscribe circle (MIS), Minimum circumscribed circle (MCC), Least Squares method (LS)
    and Zone or Minimal Radial Separation (MRS) which uses the MIS and MCC method
    to what tolerance do you need to measure?

your desired measurement accuracy will determine the measurement method

9. Jan 1, 2012 #8
    I am actually looking into the instruments which I can use.

10. Jan 3, 2012 #9
    Any type of decent measuring microscope or optical comparator should work fine, something like these : http://www.mitutoyo.com/TerminalMerchandisingGroup.aspx?group=1410 [Broken] or http://www.mitutoyo.com/TerminalMerchandisingGroup.aspx?group=1620 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  11. Jan 3, 2012 #10
    Yes fine I am using Tool makers microscope. But I want to know , for an irregular hole , how many measurements would be appreciable?.

12. Jan 4, 2012 #11
    The number/type of measurments depends on the specification or function of the hole.

13. Jan 19, 2012 #12
    Re: Urgent: how to measure HAZ heat affected zone

I have laser hole (1mm-2mm dia) drilled specimens . How to measure heat affected zone ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook