1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent Math Help - Normally distributed probability density function

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    Suppose that X and Y are independent random variables, where X is normally distributed with mean 45 and standard deviation 0.5 and Y is normally distributed with mean 20 and standard deviation 0.1.

(a) [tex] Find \ P(40 \leq X \leq 50, \ 20 \leq Y \leq 25). [/tex] Ans. ~0.5
    (b) [tex] Find \ P(4(X-45)^2+100(Y-20)^2 \leq 2). [/tex] Ans. ~0.632

Part (a) is easy. I used Maple to find the double integral of the joint density function from [tex] 40 \leq X \leq 50, \ 20 \leq Y \leq 25. [/tex] and I get 0.5

Part (b) is my problem. How do I find the limits of integration? I tried solving for X and Y but I couldn't get that to work. Am I missing something easy here? Please please please help me! This assignment is due tomorrow and I've been stuck on this problem for days. :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your region is a small ellipse centered on (45, 20) with a semimajor radius of 1/sqrt(2) and semiminor radius of 1/sqrt(50).

4. Nov 1, 2004 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Notice that
    [tex] 4(X-45)^2 = (\frac{X-45}{0.5})^2= u^2 \mbox{ and } 100(Y-20)^2= (\frac{Y-20}{0.1})^2=v^2 [/tex].
    u and v are the standard variables for X and Y, respectively. They are normally distributed with zero mean and standard deviation 1.

The condition [tex] u^2+v^2\leq 2 [/tex] means that the point(u,v) is inside a circle of radius [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]

[tex]P(u^2+v^2 \leq 2) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int\int\exp(-\frac{u^2+v^2}{2})du dv[/tex]
    Use polar coordinates and then your problem reduces to calculate

[tex]P(r\leq\sqrt{2})=\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\sqrt(2)}{\exp(-r^2/2)rdrd\phi[/tex]

ehild

5. Nov 3, 2004 #4
    Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately, I couldn't get this particular problem finished in time to turn it in but I appreciate the help anyway. At least I understand it somewhat now. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?