Urgent: Mechanical Properties at High Temp for 9Cr Steel

In summary, the individual is seeking help with their research study on high chromium steels. They have selected a specimen and now need mechanical properties for both the base metal (P91 steel) and the weld metal (TGS-9Cb) at 650 degrees Celsius. These properties include Poison's ratio, yield strength, yield strain, ultimate tensile strength, and ultimate tensile strain. Without these properties, they cannot continue with their research and are asking for help from others.
mri44
Urgent! Mechanical Properties at high temperature

At first, My cordial respect to all members.

I need help regarding my research study.
I read a paper by Yaguchi, M., T. Ogata, and T. Sakai, Creep strength of high chromium steels welded parts under multiaxial stress conditions. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 2010. 87(6): p. 357-364.

From this paper, i selected a specimen. Now i need some mechanical properties.
Specimen: Welded 9 Cr steel Tube (9Cr-1Mo-V-Nb)
Parent material: P91 steel
Weld material: TGS-9Cb

I need the Mechanical tensile properties (At 650 C) for both P91 (Base Metal) and TGS-9cb( Weld Metal).

The properties are,

At 650 C

Poison’s ratio, ν = ?
Yeild Strength, σy (MPa) = ?
Yeild Strain, εy = ?
Ultimate tensile strength, σUTS (MPa) = ?
Ultimate tensile Strain, εUTS = ?

Without these properties, i can not go ahead with my research study. I have no other way but to ask you for help.

Any kinds of help would appreciated.

May God Bless you all.

Waiting for your valuable advice.

Engineering news on Phys.org

What good would finding the properties of the weld metal do you its going to be changed as soon as you weld it- depending on an enormous number of factors- including dilution, current, weld cleanliness...

Dear researcher,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your research study. The paper you referenced by Yaguchi et al. is a valuable resource for understanding the creep strength of high chromium steels under multiaxial stress conditions. However, it is important to note that the mechanical properties of a material can vary based on factors such as composition, microstructure, and processing methods. Therefore, it is not appropriate to directly apply the values from the paper to your specific specimen.

To obtain the mechanical properties for your welded 9Cr steel tube, it is necessary to conduct experiments or simulations on your specific material. This will involve subjecting the specimen to high temperatures and measuring its response to mechanical forces. The properties you are requesting, such as yield strength and ultimate tensile strength, are critical for understanding the behavior of your material at high temperatures.

I suggest consulting with a materials testing laboratory or a mechanical engineering expert to conduct these experiments and provide you with the necessary data. It is also important to consider the standard testing methods and protocols for obtaining accurate and reliable results.

I wish you all the best in your research study and hope you are able to obtain the necessary mechanical properties for your welded 9Cr steel tube. Good luck!

1. What are the mechanical properties of 9Cr steel at high temperatures?

The mechanical properties of 9Cr steel at high temperatures include high strength, good ductility, and good creep resistance. It also has a high resistance to thermal fatigue, oxidation, and corrosion.

2. How does the mechanical strength of 9Cr steel change at high temperatures?

The mechanical strength of 9Cr steel decreases at high temperatures due to the softening of the material. This can result in a decrease in tensile strength, yield strength, and hardness.

3. What is the maximum temperature that 9Cr steel can withstand without significant changes in its mechanical properties?

The maximum temperature that 9Cr steel can withstand without significant changes in its mechanical properties is around 600-650°C. Beyond this temperature, the material may experience reduced strength and ductility.

4. How does the microstructure of 9Cr steel affect its mechanical properties at high temperatures?

The microstructure of 9Cr steel, specifically its grain size and distribution, can greatly affect its mechanical properties at high temperatures. A fine-grained microstructure has better high-temperature strength and creep resistance compared to a coarse-grained microstructure.

5. What are the potential applications of 9Cr steel based on its mechanical properties at high temperatures?

9Cr steel is commonly used in applications that require high strength, good ductility, and resistance to thermal fatigue and corrosion at high temperatures. This includes components in power plants, boilers, and gas turbines.