Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent Modern Physics question

1. Apr 9, 2003 #1
    Here is a question that is giving me fits.

An electron is trapped in an infinite quantum well. If the lowest energy transition is to produce a photon of 450nm-wavelength, what should be the well's width?

Any help is appreciated. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2003 #2
    The energy eigenvalue equation for an electron in a 1-D infinite square well is:

E(n) = (h^2 * n^2) / (8 * m * L^2),

where L is the width of the well.

A transition of energy states requires an emission or an absorption of a photon. The energy of a photon is:

E = h * f,

where f is the frequency of the photon.

Now you've got the equations; all you have to do is plug and chug.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2003
  4. Apr 9, 2003 #3
    Nevermind got the frequency, my books equation says that there is a 2 on the bottom instead of an 8?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2003
  5. Apr 9, 2003 #4
    Call me an idiot but I'm still not getting the correct result. The answer is 0.064nm in width, but I keep getting extremely small numbers. Is there any additional help anyone might can give without totally giving away the problem? Thanks again!

6. Apr 10, 2003 #5
    look closer at the 2 and 8 term, you will find that the difference is due to that h(bar)=h/(2*pi)

I´m not sure what you are doing with the equation, but you are looking for a difference, a delta E, dose that help?

Could you check you answer again, I´m getting an answer of ~ 6.4*10^(-10)???

7. Apr 10, 2003 #6
    That is the correct answer you got, although I still wasn't able to get it before it was due. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'll try again later I guess. Thanks for the help. I think my problem lies in the frequency.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?